We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour operator IS ALSO the driver/guide: tipping advice/

3 posts
Save Topic
tour operator IS ALSO the driver/guide: tipping advice/

We are ending a two week safari tomorrow and our driver/guide has also been the tour operator. He has been great and has also successfully supervised our specialized dietary requirements all along the way. Granted he has already made a profit on the travel arrangrments but he has also driven bad roads while giving us tons of info over very long days . Do we tip him as one tips a regular guide?(we are not even sure what that is as we see various opinions with TA search)? more than for a guide because he is also the driver? One previous client who recc him suggested $15 a person a day.we are 4 people. Can someone advise us? thanks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,183 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour operator IS ALSO the driver/guide: tipping advice/

$60 a day is way too much. As your TO he will have added in a wage and mark up already. Every driver deals with food requirements, bad roads and information and in Tanzania 90% of the time they are both driver and guide. Tip what you feel comfortable with, but yes, I would still give him some kind of tip.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,865 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tour operator IS ALSO the driver/guide: tipping advice/

US$60 per day is plain silly. It is normal for a guide to also drive so no extra there. This man has also had the profit from the trip as the owner. A small tip would not be out of the way. Put a Dollar in each of his hats!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,866 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tour operator IS ALSO the driver/guide: tipping advice/

Just as I don't leave a tip for my hairdresser who is also the owner, there is no reason in this instance, to tip the owner (already figured in your price) tip for him as guide/driver. However, if your group decides he does deserve a bit extra... be reasonable where $10/day from the group should be more than sufficient.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,220 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: tour operator IS ALSO the driver/guide: tipping advice/

If he is the owner as well I agree with the others who have posted. I would suggest $10 to $ 15 a day for the group...but it is not a must. He has already made his profits. $60 a day is "silly."

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,955 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tour operator IS ALSO the driver/guide: tipping advice/

On most safaris, I tend to ask the owner/manager, partly to see what they say.

Most give reasonable and honest advice - it's not essential; only to reward good service; you only see the front-man, consider the back-room guys; yadda yadda.

So, if it was me - I would ask the guy. (In fact, I would have asked at the start. How else can you be sure of having the necessary cash?). You could word it - "So, what sort of tip does a good guide get? What about an average one?"....

See what he says and then decide. He might suggest what you were about to tip him anyway.

6. Re: tour operator IS ALSO the driver/guide: tipping advice/

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 06:18