We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very late (early) arrival, worth booking a hotel in Nairobi?

nb canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Very late (early) arrival, worth booking a hotel in Nairobi?

After 30 hours of travel we are arriving at 2:25AM in Nairobi and plan on taking the morning shuttle to Arusha.

Should we just take our time through arrivals and wait it out at the airport for the transfer, or hope to grab a few hours sleep in a hotel? I'm thinking by the time we get out of the airport we would have very little time at a hotel.

Is there somewhere decent to wait once we get past baggage pick up?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very late (early) arrival, worth booking a hotel in Nairobi?

I think with that time scale and allowing for any delays in flight and at Immigration etc., I would settle for a comfy chair somewhere. Getting into the City can take 30 minutes or more, check in at the Hotel, etc., I don't think it worth the effort let alone the money.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very late (early) arrival, worth booking a hotel in Nairobi?

With that time frame I'd stay at the airport. There are two First Class Lounges, one near Gate 5 and one near Gate 11, costing ~$30-35 that would allow you to have snacks and drinks and a reasonably comfortable place to snooze for a few hours. Problem is they are air-side and you'd need to take care of your luggage; also, I'm not sure they'd give you entry without an onward boarding pass. But something to think about and look into if you wanted.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Very late (early) arrival, worth booking a hotel in Nairobi?

Shuttle Bus departs 8am.

You really don't have all that much time even for the cheapest hotel (and there are none near the airport), though farther in town where the bus also picks up... might afford you more choices. You'll have to decide this for yourselves. Sadly, the NBO airport isn't pleasant to wait... no comfy seats anywhere.

Do remember though you will require a Kenyan Visa on arrival and the Yellow Fever inoculation and proof of same for transit thru Kenya and entry to Tanzania at Namanga border.

You'll be able to purchase Tanzanian Visa at Namanga.

4. Re: Very late (early) arrival, worth booking a hotel in Nairobi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 05:17