We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa Requirements for Tanzania

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Visa Requirements for Tanzania

This is the Tanzania Immigration web site for obtaining a visa. Unless you are on the list of Referred countries you may obtain a visa at any of the official entry points into Tanzania (airports, land crossings, and ports). This is the web site to visit:

http://immigration.go.tz/module1.php?id=24

387 replies to this topic
calif
Level Contributor
8 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Visa Requirements for Tanzania

FYI We just got back from Tanzania and there was no exit fee charged, although it was mentioned due in our travel information. Same with Kenya.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Visa Requirements for Tanzania

Can I get the visa at the Tanzanian Embassy in Nairobi? I'll be going back to Kenya soon. I want to get the visa in advance because I'll have only one hour between when my flight arrives in Dars es Salaam, and my plane takes off to Ruaha National Park. Thank you

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Visa Requirements for Tanzania

You can always get your visa at the Washington DC embassy, google their web site and mail them your passport with a return envelope and $100 with the downloaded application.

With a one hour timeframe between flights do you understand that you might not make that, you have to go through customs, passport control and get your luggage, that can be done sometimes; and sometimes not. And you may need to go to the domestic terminal which is not far, but with only one hour it's iffy.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
Save Reply
84. Re: Visa Requirements for Tanzania

I think I was booked on that connection last year-is it from KQ to the Safari Airlink flight to Ruaha? I ended up changing it because of the fire at Nairobi, so I was worried about delays, and ended up with Emirates arriving the day before instead. But I was quite concerned about the connection. In the end, there were several people on our Safari Airlink flight who had come from that connection, and to be honest if there was a small delay (eg up to 30 mins) I think they would hold the flight. I don't think we took off right on time, so it's quite possible they were waiting for people.

As I understand, you live in Nairobi and are retired (so no worries about saving on time off work). If I were you I would fly the night before and overnight in Dar. The Slipway is a nice place to spend an evening at the waterfront restaurant, and then you can catch the earlier Coastal flight to Ruaha in the morning which will get you there a couple of hours earlier. It will be less stressful and you won't have to worry about getting a visa in advance.

85. Re: Visa Requirements for Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 15:48

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Visa Requirements for Tanzania

Can I get my visa at the Tanzanian Embassy in Nairobi?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Visa Requirements for Tanzania

One can obtain a tourist visa at any Tanzanian Embassy or consulate abroad, so I've answered my own question. I'll be able to make my flight because I'll have my visa in advance, and a representative of Safari Airlink will be there to meet me in advance and transport me to the domestic terminal. Thank you both for kind responses; you've help me eliminate a lot of worry. I'm sure that I'll enjoy my 10 days in Ruaha National Park so much, that I'll want to return again.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,208 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Visa Requirements for Tanzania

I don't want to pour cold water on this plan but I would not risk it for two reasons.

1. Whilst it is possible to get a TZ visa from the Kenyan Embassy I would doubt it is any easier than elsewhere such as London where they don't do 'same day' turnarounds and you will need all the forms, payments chit and photographs.

2. If and when you do get that Visa in advance then it provides little or no advantage when arriving in DAR.

You still have to queue to get past immigration. both Qs, for those with and those without Visa don't move particularly quickly. Be prepared for some time in this line.

Whilst it may speed things up to have Safarilink assist you once you have your luggage off the carousel they will most likely NOT be allowed to Q jump at Immigration even if allowed to be there (which I doubt).

Of course if your Safarilink flight is flexible as to departure there is no worry. they will wait.

london
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
Save Reply
89. Re: Visa Requirements for Tanzania

mfuwe- I believe Africaman lives in Nairobi, so no need for a 1 day turnaround on the visa.

I found having a visa in advance does make things a lot quicker at Dar. The visa windows are totally separate, before passport control, and the process of getting the visa is quite shambolic. If you already have one, you walk straight past the visa windows and through the passport control desks. It makes a big difference. Most people on the flight are held up getting the visa, so if you have one you pretty much walk straight through.

Although in the end I didn't get this flight connection but arrived in Dar the night before, I'd already got my visa in advance. I have previously always got a visa on arrival. Having a visa was a lot quicker. I had to wait around quite a while for my luggage.

Africaman- if you can travel with hand luggage or get KQ to put a "priority" tag on your bag, that will help speed things up.

london
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
Save Reply
90. Re: Visa Requirements for Tanzania

Mfuwe- are you sure you aren't thinking of JRO airport?

At Dar, there is no "visa" or "non visa" queue. The visa process is dealt with separately, at the windows on the right as you come in. Then everyone goes to the same passport control queue. If you have a visa, you just bypass the visa windows and go straight to the passport control.

Reply to: Visa Requirements for Tanzania
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted