We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coastal airline - cheaper to book online or on the spot?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
coastal airline - cheaper to book online or on the spot?

Hi we were wondering if there is a price difference booking in advance versus booking on the spot? if cheaper on the spot, do these flights fill up quickly? do you not recommend arriving to tanzania to book?

Thank you all!!

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: coastal airline - cheaper to book online or on the spot?

My impression is that Coastal fares are fixed (unlike some airlines) so it doesn't make a difference if you buy the first seat or the last seat on the plane.

I don't know if they have "stand by" fares- certainly I've seen cheap last minute packages with Coastal from Dar to the southern parks so it's possible.

However, these are small planes. Some destinations might only have one flight a day. Others might have 4 or 5. It depends where you want to go and how frequent the flights are, what time of year it is and how flexible your travel plans are whether it's worth the risk.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coastal airline - cheaper to book online or on the spot?

What if you've paid for accommodation and can't get a seat when you turn up to book at the last minute?

You may get a cheaper flight (but I agree with stokeygirl, that they are fixed), but have lost the money on the lodge.

What are you planning?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,503 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coastal airline - cheaper to book online or on the spot?

Sometimes I have been on a Full plane, all 19 seats taken, and sometimes they have laid on a smaller one just for the two of us. I don't think Coastal decide on the Model to operate that route until bookings are known.

So you might get lucky and get the last seats or you may be told it is full. One thing for sure is the price will be the same whenever you book. They change the plane to maximise revenue, not the revenue to match the plane.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: coastal airline - cheaper to book online or on the spot?

Some flights are full, yes. Some are not. I don't think the prices change on Coastal.

If you know which flight you want, you are best advised to purchase in advance.

5. Re: coastal airline - cheaper to book online or on the spot?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 06:17