We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzania or Kenya in December

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
282 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Tanzania or Kenya in December

We will be going to Kenya or Tanzania in late December, but have not yet nailed down exact locations and tour operators. We are younger and have a fairly limited budget, and are finding that Kenya is quite substantially less expensive than Tanzania for what we want to do (around $500 cheaper per person for a similar itinerary for an 11 day safari with brief beach holiday tacked on the end), and a little more accessible as flying through Nairobi is much cheaper and easlier for us than flying into Kilimanjaro. However, I have also been reading on this forum and elsewhere that the migration will be in Tanzania in late December so the wildlife will obviously be better in the Serengeti vs. the Masai Mara, etc.

My question is this: How much better will it be? Is it just that we will see a few more wildebeasts and zebras but will have an amazing trip seeing lots of animals in both places so it doesn't matter THAT much, or will it be so substantial that I would regret not doing our "once in a lifetime/spend all my savings on this trip" in Tanzania, despite that it would overstretch our budget?

I realize this is a subjective question and has been asked before, but I wanted to throw the budget factor in to the mix (because the obvious answer is Tanzania in December). I am just so torn that any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edited: 10 August 2013, 15:33
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanzania or Kenya in December

If Budget is a major issue then that surely answers your question? If seeing the undoubted splendours that Tanzania can offer counts for more than $500 then come to Tanzania.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanzania or Kenya in December

I don't think anyone will advise you to "over stretch" your budget. Being that this is the Tanzania forum, most on here will tell you game viewing is better in Tanzania however if you look at the KEnya forum they will tell you to come to Kenya. Do what you can afford and you will have a great time. I have visited both countries and enjoyed all my trips. We did a safari in December in Kenya a couple of years ago and it was great. Also my first safari was to Kenya about 8 years ago and I loved every minute of it. Since then we have also visited Tanzania 3 times and had great trips there Too. Lets face it you will never know what you would have seen if you had visited the other country you will only know what you did see and it will be a great experience in either country.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanzania or Kenya in December

There is no country in Africa which has better, in terms of quality and quantity of wildlife, safari experiences than Tanzania. It's the reason why some people buy Chevrolets and some buy Cadillacs. Both will get you to your destination, and in the case of safaris both will have a safari experience.

You wonder if you will merely just see a few more wildebeest and zebras; yes, something like 2 million. But one will never know what is missed if they don't go there.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanzania or Kenya in December

Stick with Kenya. There are still always 'residential' wildebeest that never migrate. And you will see as many and maybe more (unique species, as at Samburu and/or other northern parks) than you're likely to see in Tanzania.

Our first safari was to Kenya, second to Tanzania, and have since visited both and no two safaris regardless which country has ever been the same.

Until your budget can handle a more expensive holiday as Tanzania rates do tend to be higher than Kenya, as well int'l flight prices, visit where you can afford. Even your Visa cost to Tanzania @ USD$100 will be higher than USD$50 for Kenya.

Then, once you've been 'bitten by the African bug' you can plan a return visit.

Edited: 10 August 2013, 18:20
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanzania or Kenya in December

I too am planning a trip of a life time (mother & daughters 27 & 24) in early December and have discovered that there aren't many reviews for visits to East Tanzania in December. I'm wanting to know if it's a good time to visit? I have decided on Tanzania - Ruaha. We have a total of 13/14 nights & I'm wondering whether to stay 8/9/10 nights (safari) in the one place or split our stay between 2 Ruaha camps. (or +/- Selous) We love tent living and have spent many nights under canvas here in Australia. I'm yet to decide on a TO and which Ruaha camp?

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanzania or Kenya in December

Misa- you probably should start a new question, as really apart from the time of year, your question is totally different to the OP. I've been to Selous and Ruaha a couple of times each and am going back very shortly- I'm happy to give my thoughts but it's better to have this discussion in its own separate topic. Also, others with Selous/Ruaha experience aren't going to be looking here.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanzania or Kenya in December

True enough Stokey.

I have been to the only Park in Eastern Tanzania, Saadani. It was late December/early January and very good if a bit wet on the coast.

Ruaha is not East but South. It is as far West as Serengeti. I have also been there in December and it rained there too.

Would I spend 10 nights in the same camp? Not really. I would spend maybe 4 in several and even fly on to Selous as well.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,890 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tanzania or Kenya in December

Tanzania or Kenya in Dec....by the op..If it is a once in a lifetime trip and you probaly won't do it again because there is so much to see out there ....then I would go to Tanzania I have been on many safaris in both countries at most times and seasons and in my humble opinion I agree with Karl

There is no country in Africa which has better, in terms of quality and quantity of wildlife, safari experiences than Tanzania...

Kenya can be fantastic ..Tanzania can be more than fantastic.many reasons most already outlined here many times.a search will produce many posts Kenya V Tanzania.

Misa...I would visit more than just Ruaha include Selous and also perhaps Saadani....I would do a fly in Safari and probably first of all start your own post.

9. Re: Tanzania or Kenya in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 05:17