We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rabies Vaccination

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Rabies Vaccination

Have been recommended to have the rabies vaccination as a precaution before visiting Tanzania. Is this necessary?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,620 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rabies Vaccination

Not unless you are working there for long periods of time, with animals, or trsvelling i areas with a high density of stray dogs.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,070 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rabies Vaccination

Unless you will be working with or around animals or doing an activity like caving where bats are close by I think the rabies shot is unnecessary. The shot does not prevent rabies but buys you some extra time to get to a medical facility for treatment. In the unlikely event you need treatment I would expect you could get to a facility in a timely fashion.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,792 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rabies Vaccination

I'm sensing you are about to ask about Yellow Fever... :-)

It might be worth a quick search as its a very popular topic. When using the search button, sort by "date" and not relevance, if you want the latest posts.....

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rabies Vaccination

Doesn't matter what you are working with, the vaccine is not needed. As stated, it does not prevent the transmission of rabies. If you are dealing with lots of wild animals or bats and are MORE THAN 48 hours from a hospital is the ONLY situation where it might be beneficial.

Don't get it.

Get the yellow fever

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,436 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rabies Vaccination

Consult your local Doctor not a public forum.

However eons ago my lovely GP suggested I got the Rabies shot in case I was bitten by a Lion. I declined by suggesting that I would be more concerned in surviving the bite than doing a blood test on the Saliva.

Everyone above is correct. It is not an inoculation in the true sense. It merely buys extra time.

Your best precaution, against most problems, is a $50 subscription to AMREF who will provide emergency free Medivac to Nairobi from anywhere in East Africa.

I will NOT mention the "Y/F" word.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,990 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rabies Vaccination

Forget the Rabies have the yellow fever.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rabies Vaccination

be carefull if visiting residential areas of any city,

friends and relatives do keep dogs at home,

once you are inside their gates make sure dogs are safely away from your car

before stepping out.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,620 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rabies Vaccination

I got the rabies shots last year because I was volunteering and had a 3 hour return commute every day part or all of it requiring walking through communities with plenty of strays and dogs. If just vacationing, I would not have considered it. I work with numerous Infectious Disease physicians, and the consensus is different for long term living in a country to a visitor who will spend most of the time on the 'circuit'. Also consider, that the 'shots' in Canada cost almost $1000. I was lucky enough to have extra insurance to cover it, but if I hadn't, I would have had to seriously reconsider the value of the shots. As stated, they delay the reactions, but you still will need treatment.

The Flying Doctors situation is ideal. They will be able to fly you out and to a major health centre in a very short time where treatment can start. Also, if you don't use it, the money goes into community evacuations for those who would not be able to afford it otherwise.

9. Re: Rabies Vaccination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 06:22