We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa on Arrival

Salem, India
14 posts
Save Topic
Visa on Arrival

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the Arrival visa requirements at Kilimanjaro airport for Indian nationals.

I would travelling by the end of this week for about eight days.

I will have the yellow fever certificate on 21/08/2013. My travel would be on 25 or 26 the same month.

Is there a minimum no of days requirement to enter Tanzania after the vaccine shot ??

Kindly advice. Thank you.

Old Moshi...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa on Arrival

Check the official site:

www.immigration.go.tz/module1.php?id=14

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa on Arrival

No time requirement for the vaccination, just have the vaccination certificate with you. For visa information look on the pinned post at the top of the Tanzania Forum - Visa Requirements.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa on Arrival

It takes your body a week or two to build the antibodies after you take the YF shot. So while there may be no min. time requirement for gap between taking the shot and entering the country, your body itself will not necessarily be armed to resist, which, after all is the whole point of taking the shot. Once the shot is taken, your body is supposedly armed for the next 10 years. So there is no reason for anyone to delay taking shots till the last minute before travel if they have a choice.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa on Arrival

Sorry, the point of the requirement is not to protect yourself; it is a requirement of the government to protect their citizens so that YF doesn't get brought into the country. Actually there is very little chance of contracting YF while you are in Tz, and they want to keep it that way. There is an occasional outbreak of YF but not really all that often.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa on Arrival

Karl, I appreciate the fact that there is little chance of getting YF in TZ and this requirement for YF shot before entry into TZ is about somebody's power trip and red tape and has no basis in science. However, the purpose of all such vaccinations is to protect your body against the virus. If your body is protected, you will not be catching the disease anywhere and carrying it anywhere. So I find it rather ridiculous when they actually give you the shot at the airport (if true) if you can't produce the YF cft. If you're already infected at that point, that shot isn't going to help you or protect the people of TZ! But science is for fools, both here in the US and many other places.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa on Arrival

Ghumoon,

you are fighting a losing battle. The shot is NOT to protect you. You WILL NOT get yellow fever in Tanzania. It is purely for TZ to say it is protecting itself. Sorry, but Karl is correct. The CDC says you don't need it because there is no risk there right now.

Also, it does not expire in 10 years, the data has changed. IT is a lifelong shot (now).

And, yes, it is true they give you the shot at the airport and, yes, it is true it is ridiculous. Welcome to Africa. You can fight it and complain or roll with the punches. The second creates a LOT less stress...

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,212 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa on Arrival

My understanding from posts on the Kenya forum is that Indians need the vaccination to get back into their country.

Tanzania doesn't consider India a YF risk country so you shouldn't need it on entry (unless coming via Kenya, for example). However, India considers Tanzania to be a YF risk country so you will need it to get back. So actually in this case the shot is for protecting the people of India!

In theory the vaccination takes 10 days to become effective. In reality I don't think anyone cares, but in any case it's not the date you enter Tanzania that counts it will be the date you re-enter India because they're the ones who need it.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa on Arrival

That is correct Stokeygirl, there are several countries which require the YF vaccination to get back in their country. At least that is my understanding.

And I have seen them give the vaccination at the airport, as well as it being reported on here several times. I had a good friend travel to West Africa and before they would allow him into the country they gave him the YF vaccination.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,212 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa on Arrival

I understand from the Kenya forum that there's been a shortage of the YF vaccine in India. Has been causing people quite a few problems.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,035 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa on Arrival

Stephen -

>> it does not expire in 10 years, the data has changed. IT is a lifelong shot (now).<<

Yes, it has been shown that the YF inoc is now lifelong, however, before anyone who is due for their 10/yr booster, please don't decide not to get it. Seems in order for this to officially go into effect, many countries have to approve this and since it took 17/yrs for approval when it came to cholera, who knows how many years till same for Yellow Fever.