We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari travel insurance

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Safari travel insurance

Hi, in October myself and my girlfriend are doing a safari for 10 days, can anyone recommend a good UK based insurance company, and how do I get flying doctor cover or will that be covered in the insurance?

Sorry if this is a bit basic but I have never done a trip like this

Many thanks

Shaun

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari travel insurance

Hi Shaun, the type of insurance you need depends on whether you have booked a package through a UK TO, in which case you can get travel insurance through any reputable company, or is this booked through a Tanzanian TO where you have booked flights separately and any other parts of your trip. If the latter you will need to do some research and probably ring some insurance companies to discuss. We used M&S but did ring them to make sure all aspects of the trip were covered as the policy was not entirely clear. They then added a "note" to our file to say that they would cover our trip.

Your TO will be able to arrange Flying Doctors for you, this will not be part of your standard travel insurance.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari travel insurance

Thanks for the reply, the flights are all being sorted out by our TO (expert Africa) which has uk offices so it should be easy enough to sort cover and I will get in touch with them for the Flying Doctors

Cheers

Shaun

nyc
Level Contributor
14,460 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari travel insurance

Many threads here on TA about companies in the UK that can provide such cover. Best you do a search using box above. Unless someone can recall name/s of some you can pursue.

Regarding Flying Doctors, you can sign up for this direct by contacting www.amref.org (select flying doctor's membership). Fee is about $15/person and can be done online.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari travel insurance

I think if you are booking through expert africa it will include travel insurance. Give them a ring and ask.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari travel insurance

Expert Africa can include travel insurance but if I recall correctly its quite pricey. If you are booking the trip with then then most standard policies will cover you, but I would read the small print carefully. We used EA for a multi country trip, including gorilla trekking but we organised all our own flights both to and from Africa and intercontinental during the trip (but not bush flights these were through EA). I used "Covered to go as I receive a discount through my employer, but I read very carefully that the policy covered a safari and gorilla trek booked through a UK agent, included medical evacuation costs and repatriation if necessary, covered schedule airline and pre-booked transfers to / from airports and that the cancellation cover was sufficiently high to cover the cost of the trip (it was quite an investment).

If you feel better, go with the EA insurance, as a company I've used them twice for trips to Botswana, Tanzania and Rwanda and have nothing but praise for them.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,460 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari travel insurance

Can't comment on exact offering from Expert Africa, but if it's typical of what you can purchase on your own, EA is just a seller and has no responsibility. And as I recall from some years back, a commission goes to the company, in this case EA, as the seller... might be why their price for such is rather costly.

Some tour operators/outfitters do offer 'some' cover, but it's not 'all inclusive' so you have to read all details - the fine print.

There are many options out you can locate on your own which is what I would suggest you do.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari travel insurance

I have used travelguard on several trips and had a big claim with them. I continue to use them because of how they handled the claim and treated me. I don't know if it is a US company only or not.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safari travel insurance

Read the fine print carefully. A recent experience flying from the US via London to Kilimanjaro demonstrates how important this is. The Heathrow - Kilimanjaro flight was cancelled because of the fire in Nairobi airport. British Airways would only book us on a later flight to Entebbe and we were forced to pay for the tickets from Entebbe to Kilimanjaro. The company - CSA Travel Protection based in the US (where our trip originated) - rejected the claim because the cause of the cancellation was not weather related, the result of a mechanical breakdown or a strike. All other causes for trip cancellation were uncovered.

9. Re: Safari travel insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 September 2013, 15:05
10. Re: Safari travel insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 07:18