We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari clothes for September

Ramat Gan, Israel
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Safari clothes for September

Hello,

We are going to safari in a few days, and after reading many posts about clothing, I still have some questions regarding clothing in September:

1. During daytime, should we wear long pants or short pants?

2. During daytime, should we wear short-sleeve shirts or long-sleeve?

3. How cold will it be during the evening? Should we wear long sleeve shirts, sweaters?

4. Should we bring a raincoat at this time of the year? Gloves? A wool hat? A scarf?

Thanks in advance!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,047 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari clothes for September

Perhaps you can refresh our memory of your itinerary and type of lodging. Different in Zanzibar than Ngoro Crater, and between basic camping and stone walled lodge.

Ramat Gan, Israel
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari clothes for September

We will be staying at Tarangire Safari Lodge, Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge, Serengeti Wilderness Camp, Lobo Wildlife Lodge, and Serengeti North Wilderness Camp.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
264 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari clothes for September

The usual travel clothes (REI, Columbia etc) with a fleece or pullover for the cold Ngorongoro Crater evenings/mornings. Do remember you could see some TseTse flies in Central Serengeti...

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari clothes for September

I like a very light weight fleece jacket for the evenings at Ngorongoro, or even in the early mornings as the sun is coming up. It also works as a rolled up as a plane pillow or somewhat blanket on the plane. For pants, I like long pants that are cotton (with a little bit of spandex to retain their shape) as it can get warmer during the days. I also like capri pants for really warm days. In the evenings, the longer pants and a long sleeve or 3/4 length sleeve are nice as it gets cooler. I'm sure you can skip the gloves, wool hat (although you may want a sun hat to wear during the days. I'm not big on hats and the vehicles I've been in mostly have pop up roofs for sun protection. Whether you like long sleeves or short sleeves is someone dependent if you tend to get warm or cold. That's why I like dressing in layers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
368 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari clothes for September

I guess it depends on when you are going and the temperature.We went in August and it was quite cold at night and early morning . Usually started off in lightweight long pants , t shirt, fleece , could've used a Masai blanket early in the morning especially if the roof was open.

I also wore 3/4 pants or shorts as the day s heated up , my husband wore shorts all the time with a t shirt & fleece .Dont be fussy about colours etc... No one cared especially the animals !!!

I didn't use a hat ,but a scarf would have been good for early morning . I often put shorts in my day pack and changed in the ladies when we had lunch .

Hope that helps . enjoy!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
368 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari clothes for September

Sorry missed the September !! Too early in the morning here!! By the way we only saw Tsetse flys at the end of the day in Lake Manyara, only a handful of them ,no where else , we stayed in most of the places you will be.No Mosquitos either Although I'm sure they are somewhere !! We had plenty of deet but only used it a few times at night if my feet weren't covered

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari clothes for September

Considering OP lives in Israel, doubt they'll find an REI or Columbia... but any sporting/camping goods store works. That said, however, you don't need anything special, but a warm outer piece of cloths - sweater, jacket, fleece - as mornings and night temps can be downright cold. Daytime temps in the mid-70s*, low-80s but when the sun sets, it gets rather nippy quickly. In the mornings also nippy, so layers best and as the sun ruses, you peel off layers.

*think Jerusalem between Dec-Feb. light or mid-season cloths during most days, suede/cashmere/jacket evenings.

I don't wear even walking length shorts, but if warm enough... you can, with t-shirt with short sleeve or long. Some people simply prefer to avoid the brutal Equatorial sun (something you're no doubt pretty close to also), so I wear long or crop pants and shirt sleeve lengths that you're comfy with.

Good idea for a scarf and even gloves; some even with a knit cap as the wind can pick up and cut thru you if driving quickly over the plains. Besides, these don't take up much room in packing.

Rain unlikely, but a cheap rain slicker (small/packable... costing $1-2) is always in my bag. But lodges/camps do have umbrellas, if needed; most of the time though you're in a vehicle. Up to you.

Safari njema.

8. Re: Safari clothes for September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 06:33