We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Safari in January

Msida, Malta
2 posts
Save Topic
Cheap Safari in January

hi we are 4 students going on a trip to Tanzania in January as a mid school break! we are all on a super extremely cheap budget, we know we are going to have to camp cause that is all we can afford . so (remember its in January) what place would you recommend ( as we are getting so lost seeing all the different places safari's take place) what would your recommend to see most animals, and as cheaply as possible :) we are thinking a 4 day safari .

I know im asking for something quite impossible, but people always manage to seem to do this :)

thanks in advanced

Matt

1. Re: Cheap Safari in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2013, 12:32
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Safari in January

If this were myself and I was looking for a super inexpensive safari I would go to Mikumi. You will need to fly into Dar es Salaam (DAR) (rather than Kilimanjaro Airport, JRO) for this. If for some reason you are going to Arusha and already have tickets for JRO then you will need to take a bus to Dar es Salaam (cost about $15) Look on the right side of this web page and follow the link on the 5th question from the bottom of the list of Top Questions about Tanzania.

You can take the bus to Mikumi Village from Dar es Salaam, cost will be about $10 each. Go to either the VETA (Vocational Education training center) and they will be able to not only get you into a hostel of theirs, but also arrange for a vehicle/guide to take you to Mikumi National Park, which is about 1km from Mikumi village. You can stay at a hostel in Mikumi Village for about $10 - $20 a night including breakfasts, I am not certain what the vehicle/guide will cost you but split 4 ways it might be in the $50 range each per day or less, the park fees are $30 per day, and you can stuff yourselves at breakfast and skip lunch or eat many of the fruits there for probably less than $1 - $2, a dinner might cost you no more than $10 and if you eat local food it will be less than $3. A beer in one of the local pubs will be about $1.

Then if you want to do another park, take the bus to Iringa and stay at the M-R Hotel in the city center near to the markets; or if you just want to go to Ruaha NP then just take the bus from Dar to Iringa, cost will be between $10 - $15 each. Cost will be another ~$5 - $10 from Mikumi village and Iringa is on down the same road from Mikumi Village another couple of hours. The M-R hotel the last time I stayed there was about $10 a night including breakfast. Have them arrange for a vehicle to Ruaha National Park (loads of lions, crocks, and elephants). Pay the park fees which will be no more than $30 each. If you leave early in the morning you can drive there and return mid afternoon so you don't have to pay for the expensive lodges there. Go to the Hasty Tasty Too and have them pack you picnic lunch boxes (decent place to get something to eat also). If you want to stay near to the park, then ask at Iringa Info opposite the Hasty Tasty tours; or at Neema Crafts for the smaller companies to arrange your trip or get a bus or taxi to Tungamalenga village near the park gate and stay at Chogela campsite where they can arrange a cheaper vehicle hire (this is the cheapest way to do this great park).

Either of these or both will get you some very inexpensive safaris into the National Parks of Tanzania. The animals you see will be the same as those seen by people who pay up to $1,000 per person per day at some of the luxury lodges.

I have my own vehicle there so my only difference is that I drive there myself, pick up a guide at the ranger station in either of these parks for about $10 for a day and stay in a local hotel when I'm there. I have done this many times. And while I'm on the other end of the age spectrum, that's the way I prefer to go to these parks. This will take a little bit of adventurism on your part, but being young you can do this easily. Just don't do foolish things, they won't tolerate that.

Does this meet our budget?

3. Re: Cheap Safari in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 06:21