We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Selous, Mikumi, Ruaha vrs Northern Circuit

Green Bay, WI
Level Contributor
74 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Selous, Mikumi, Ruaha vrs Northern Circuit

I just posted a trip report pertaining to our recent visit, September 2013, to the southern parks of: Selous Game Reserve, Mikumi N.P., Udzungwa Forest N.P. and Ruaha N.P.

tripadvisor.com/…52868486

I wanted to create a second post with the name of the parks in the title so searches could more easily locate the report. When I was researching the trip it became obvious that there is much more information pertaining to the northern circuit than the southern circuit and I relished each time I found a new posting pertaining to the southern parks or the lodgings that we were staying at.

In October 2010 we did a safari which included the parks in the northern circuit (Tarangire, Maynara, Lake Eyasi, Ngorongoror Crater, and Seregeti), the following observations are limited to my very small sample size of one safari to each location.

Immigration/Visa - We got our visas at JRO (Kilimanjaro) and Dar (Dar Es Salaam). Kilimanjaro seemed a little better organized but we were out of the airport with visa in hand in less than 60 minutes at both locations. Neither time were we checked for Yellow Fever certificate as we flew from Amsterdam and Istanbul respectively.

Tsetse Flies & Mosquitoes - We were very fortunate on our northern trip as I was bit only twice during the entire stay. The southern trip was entirely different. We had numerous pockets of tsetse flies in Selous especially near the Matambwe gate, and most of the drive from Seolous to Mikumi. The flies were also present in Ruaha but not to the same extent as in Selous. (I realize this is based on only one trip, and weather patterns and time of the year play a major factor.) The flies can really leave a welt and they do hurt when they bite, but I wouldn’t choose one destination or another based on the presence or lack there of tsetse flies). Not really any mosquitoes on either trip.

Dining Options – More food choices were available during our northern trip, probably because the lodges were larger. Typically a dinner meal was bread, soup, and a choice of three entrees for the main course, plus dessert. In the southern parks you were asked upon check-in if you had any special dietary needs. If there was none, all guest typically had the same meal. The largest of the resorts that we stayed at in the south provided a buffet for dinner.

Animal Viewing – The animals in Mikumi and Ruaha appeared just as accustomed to safari vehicles as their northern cousins. Zebras and wildebeests in Selous appeared a little more skittish than the other parks, but the large animals in Selous: elephants, lions, and giraffes did not see us as a threat. The most number of vehicles I saw at one location in the southern circuit was five at a tree with a lion pride under it in Selous and at a leopard sighting in Ruaha. The northern parks can get a lot more congested at a good sighting. We saw more animals during our northern circuit safari.

Personal Attention – The management at the southern lodges are very personable. They greet you upon your arrival, while you are dining, and upon your departure. Again these lodges are much smaller than most of those in the north. (At three of the five southern lodges we, a group of four, occupying two tents, were the only guests)

Preference – Both circuits have their advantages and it is definitely a personal choice. For a first safari the Serengeti is really special, and we were able to see all of the big cats. In the southern circuit we saw lions along with one leopard.

Easy Travel & Tours Ltd
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Gosheni Safaris Africa
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
African Scenic Safaris
Hiking & Camping Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Climbing Tours
Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Selous, Mikumi, Ruaha vrs Northern Circuit

Thanks for the trip report and this information. It is great that you have had the chance to do the north and the south. I am going on my first safari soon and I really struggled whether to go north or south. In the end I choose the Northern circuit and the western parks of Katavi and Mahale. I hope like you, I will be able to go back and do the southern parks!

Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Selous, Mikumi, Ruaha vrs Northern Circuit

Did Northern trak in Feb of 2012 and in 48 hours will be headed to Dar es Salaam and then on to Selous and Ruaha. Looking forward to the differences and will report as you did.

Crapshooter

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Selous, Mikumi, Ruaha vrs Northern Circuit

Crapshooter have a great trip and will wait on your views.....and the differences.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Selous, Mikumi, Ruaha vrs Northern Circuit

Thanks for the report DePere...very timely. I'm still figuring out my 2014 Selous/Ruaha trip! I look forward to reading all your camp reviews.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,501 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Selous, Mikumi, Ruaha vrs Northern Circuit

Still trying to get to the South parks. Thanks for the great review and details.

Where to next?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
864 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Selous, Mikumi, Ruaha vrs Northern Circuit

First time I have heard someone comparing the northern and southern parks step by step like that. Very helpful thank you very much.

Going back to the northern circuit for the third time, just can't seem to get enough. What is a safari without the Serengeti?

Always find something new to add though, and never get bored. Also by now have friends to go back to visit.

7. Re: Selous, Mikumi, Ruaha vrs Northern Circuit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 06:21