We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many times have you been there and when?

South Riding VA
Level Contributor
625 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How many times have you been there and when?

OK - you all know I'm a newbie. I actually don't know when I started stalking this forum. But I'm now scheduled for my trip - end of April thru beginning July - and I am already asking myself how and when I will go back.

I have tried to figure out thru the threads to determine who has been to TZ, how often and when. It's complicated to do that way.

So, I know Karl, Mfume and NE return again and again, I just was curious about who has gone back, how often and why.

My poor DH (otherwise known as Dick, the guy with the gimpy knee) knows he will never go again , but he knows that I will. I'm just wondering, how did you know you would return? How did you decide when? And whatever else you can tell me.

I retired 2 weeks ago and I'm afraid my DH is afraid he will be here with the guys (i.e., my dogs.) while I gallivant.

Thanks-chris

Just a PS. We are going on safari mid-May thru June. I think I'd like to go back for the births in Feb. what do you all think?

Edited: 19 September 2013, 23:04
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,787 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How many times have you been there and when?

Galapagos Islands for me SciGuy - another amazing and unique place. Has been on my bucket list since 10 years old when learned about South America in grade 5. Sadly, another expensive place - particularly for solo travellers. However, I work in a hospital environment and see people my age with short life expectancies, and one starts to realize that all things cannot be left until retirement. Canada is changing the age to receive govt Pension to 67. I figure those extra two years I have to work are paying off my current travel. Knowing I have to work another 11/12 years is acceptable if I have trips I can do in the meantime.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How many times have you been there and when?

@Sciguy,<the places that they have been around the world, and I wonder how they can afford it.>

No need to be jealous of this old man. If I can do it anyone can. Worked hard for 40+ years. Made modest savings. Did a few long haul trips when time off permitted. Saw how to do it for less money.

Hit Africa running and decided that Work was a just a four letter word. Made choice. Stuck with it.

We all have choices and priorities to make in life. Some get lucky enough to get a few breaks.

Whilst I travel 'a lot', my home is modest enough and my car is over ten years old. I did get a 'taste' for flying up front but did the maths "two trips or just one for the same money?" I may still be down the back with my knees around my neck BUT I am flying to Africa!

Don't give up hope.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How many times have you been there and when?

cbradley1209 - My husband and I just returned home yesterday and I'm up early with jet lag lurking on the forums. We did a 10 night Northern Circuit safari and 4 nights in Zanzibar. I'm not home 24 hours and am already aching to return to Tz. I would love to do some of the Southern parks, spend more time hanging in Arusha and other cities, and track down wild painted dogs, which are more difficult to find and one of the few animals we were unable to see. (I'm a dog trainer by profession, so they are of particular interest to me.)

It is so true what everyone says on here - my husband and I were planning our next visit before even finishing our first :)

Edited: 20 September 2013, 14:47
Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
107 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How many times have you been there and when?

Sciguy - We went to Machu Picchu a few years ago and I would recommend it to everyone. We've also been to Ireland which was wonderful. Like mfuwe, we like to travel so we save money where we can on other things. Other than our upcoming safari, we've always been able to travel pretty cheaply, it just takes alot of research and planning.

South Riding VA
Level Contributor
625 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How many times have you been there and when?

Michelle, Welcome home! I sure hope you'll post a report. I have 220 days until I leave. (I had a retirement countdown clock and two weeks ago when I made it to retirement I transformed the clock to a countdown to Africa! It sets on my desk.)

chris

Edited: 20 September 2013, 15:34
Lancaster
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How many times have you been there and when?

I booked our return safari on the way home from the first (in my head). We did the northern parks in Sept/Oct 12 and had a life changing holiday. I went from being a beach lover and dressing up for dinner to loving the peaceful casual aura that comes with a safari. Our primary reason for a safari is a love of animals but the Tanzanian people sure had a part of why we loved our trip so much. It was supposed to be a once in a lifetime trip for my 50th birthday but I'm happy to say I finalised our 2nd trip 2 months ago, meaning a 14 months wait as we're going in Sept 14. I check this forum at least once a day, the trip reports keep me going until its our turn again.

Sciguy - my husband works in Kuala Lumpur so I've done a couple of trips out there. It's certainly worth a trip but the main advantage is that its so easy and cheap to fly around Asia. We went to Borneo (Sabah) in August and had a fabulous time, we only had a few days but it was worth it to see the Orangutans! Had a couple of hands on days at an elephant sanctuary near KL, was an amazing experience and will go again next Feb when I'm there. The Asian elephant is so different to the African but I love them all the same. You could also try Anchor watt in Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam. The world's your oyster but no 1 at the top of my list is still Tanzania!

Mentioned in this post
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: How many times have you been there and when?

First time was both Kenya and Tanzania in 2009

Went to Botswana in 2012

Already booked for Tanzania for July 28, 2014 for 11 days.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: How many times have you been there and when?

Our first safari was in South Africa (2005 - Kwa Zulu Natal and Kruger), but our second and third were both in Tanzania on the northern circuit (2008 & 2011 -- June and February, respectively -- Arusha Nat'l Park, Manyara, Tarangire, Sinya, Crater, Ndutu, Serengeti, Lake Victoria), and we'll be returning in February -- with first-timer friends.

Like ALOHA-UTA, I can't get enough of the Serengeti -- and there's a LOT of Serengeti to see! Even though it's not the "right" season, we'll get as far north as Lobo this time. And like Quiltingmama, I keep connected through the long years between visits. We contribute to Project Zawadi, which works to provide educational opportunities in an area near Lake Victoria, and consider Brian and Karen, owners of Access2Tanzania, (with whom we shared a lovely evening in Sinya back in 2011) good friends. I'm in email contact with our guide, Said, and am looking forward to spending a day with him and his family in February.

I can't tell you whether it's the animals or the people calling me back, or more generally the sense I get in Tanzania of human roots -- of a visceral, maybe genetic sense of "coming home." But the call is strong, my memories of the country the most compelling of any memories of travel, and the longing to return truly powerful. I can't remember a day when a "flash" of memory of a moment in Tanzania didn't stop me in my tracks. I'm counting the days (131 until we leave). The time there, for me, passes in what seems to be a heartbeat, but the experience just follows me home and lives in my house, under the bed, perhaps, influencing my dreams.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Zawadi Hotel Zanzibar
Zawadi Hotel Zanzibar
163 Reviews
Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
Access2Tanzania
Access2Tanzania
177 Reviews
Arusha, Tanzania
Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
321 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: How many times have you been there and when?

Sciguy, you want to know where to go next. Thailand!!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
376 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: How many times have you been there and when?

My first trip to Africa was South Africa for 3 weeks (1 week safari) in 2009. I loved the experience. I went to the northern circuit of Tanzania in June 2012 with OAT. I often travel by whim, and that's what I did on that trip. I knew nothing about Tanzania or the Serengeti and left about 6 weeks after I booked my trip. I found out later people plan months and years for trips to Africa. I found this forum when I got back and spent time on it every day. I also spent a lot of time reading about Tanzania and Africa. I returned to Tz in November for a week. I used free mileage and went to Lushoto, Bagamoyo, and Zanzibar. The time from June to November seemed awfully long. I'm returning in March 2014 to do the northern circuit again. I'm more excited about it than I am about my trip to Patagonia in a month (a place I have never been before).

Sciguy, for the last 5 years or so, I have traveled internationally 2-3 times a year. Almost every place is my favorite. Europe is spectacular. Iceland was intriguing and I'd love to go back. Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam were special. It's hard to go wrong if you go with the right attitude; every place has something special.

Mentioned in this post
Lushoto
Lushoto
Tanga Region, Tanzania
Bagamoyo
Bagamoyo
Pwani Region, Tanzania
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania