We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tent or lodge

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
tent or lodge

Quick question...what is the probability of "critters" in the high-end tented camps compared to the lodges like Serena? I would like the camp experience but am not sure I could handle seeing rodents!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,159 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tent or lodge

Never on my trips. All foods were put into plastic bags and stored in the kitchen, or jeep. Very clean rooms and tents, well swept, not an issue. Not even a beneficial gecko.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tent or lodge

Only critters I've had in both tented camps and lodges were a few spiders and one tented camp had some small ants that hung out at the water faucet in the bathroom. I have had some food with me (nuts, granola bars, cookies and M&Ms) but they were kept in zip lock bags and those bags were placed inside of those toss away hard plastic containers with the very firm lids. During the day, those snacks were in the vehicle. The only critter/food issue I've had is a bold baboon, who while we stopped at the gate to get the permit at Ngorongoro, saw us eating a cookie snack and decided that I might want to share. Don't think so.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,159 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tent or lodge

Oooh, those baboons at Ngoro gate are not to be messed with....or they leave a mess and if in your vehicle, it stinks! So when they tell you to close up the car....close up the car. They are brazen and show no fear. I give them wide berth as I think they are more likely to get agressive tha the lion by your jeep.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tent or lodge

The only visitors you will probably have is of the insect variety-a few ants or spiders, although one place they insisted on leaving the outside light on from dusk and all night (for protection???) and the whole front of the tent was packed with insects of all types, and I didn't want to even open the flap to go in. That did creep me out a bit as I am not into bugs.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 01:38
Michigan
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tent or lodge

We were standing at the vehicle (I was just outside my door which was open) and the guide thought he saw movement under the vehicle. The beggar jumped from the ground to my vehicle seat (leaving a muddy footprint which I photographed), then off the seat of my pants and was gone. But he didn't get my cookie :-)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,793 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tent or lodge

Rodents? Never. The Pythons and Cobras kill and eat them if the Genets don't get them first.

Other Critters such as Geckos are made welcome as they keep the bugs down.

Tent or Lodge. They are much the same.

Tented Camps will get more opportunistic visits by larger mammals but that is part of the attraction.

I never take food into my tent unless sealed and then only rarely. Elephant can smell Fruit through plastic containers.

Baboons? Never trust them however 'cute'.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
864 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tent or lodge

Boy we must be the lucky ones.

Ever stay at Kati Kati? Guaranties they have mice and probably their larger brothers. So what, part of the landscape. Just watch you shoes if you have to get up in the middle of the night.

Lovely camp by the way. Highly recommend it.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tent or lodge

I really don't like how many times "spider" has been mentioned. I can take 'em all except spiders! Actually I can even handle spiders as long as they are not hanging out where I sleep, gives me the creeps just thinking about it.....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
368 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tent or lodge

We had hardly anything in our tents at all. . One of the Wilderness camps in Serona had field mice running around ,but outside in the grass !

One evening I showered with a small frog !!!! 🐸

Very few insects in August , normal flys but they weren't a bother.🐜🐝

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,793 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tent or lodge

<One evening I showered with a small frog !!!!>

Why did you not kiss him? It may have been your Prince in waiting?