We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

I was just reading in the Kenya Digital Standard the following Security Warning issued by the Tanzania Government:

"Following the rising levels of insecurity in the country, the government of the United Republic of Tanzania has issued a travel advisory warning the wildebeests intending to migrate from the Serengeti National Park to the Maasai Mara Game Reserve. The Tanzanian government warned that it couldn’t assure them of security. The wildebeests migrate seasonally from the Serengeti to the Maasai Mara, in search of pastures. It is feared the directive is likely to disrupt the travel plans for tens of thousands of them."

The entire article can be found at:

www.standardmedia.co.ke/…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17,320 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

that's very cute!

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,193 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

Thanks Karl. A great article.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

Thank Karl for making me smile this morning

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,795 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

Well I have reported this to the SPCC as being cruel to crocodiles. What are they going to eat? Grass?

Nice one Mzee.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,211 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

I wonder if Kenya will retaliate and "disrupt the travel plans for tens of thousands of them" by issuing a host of gnu travel requirements.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,795 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

Gosh! Don't we get enough daft questions on Getting Visas on arrival and "can they make me have a Yellow Fever Vaccination?" without this.

It will only cause a stampede at Immigration.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

Perhaps this is what was behind the plan to build this new road. It was actually to dissuade the wildebeests to not go into that dangerous territory of the Kenya Mara.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

Support the IAVC - (International Association of Vegetarian Crocodiles).

Behavior change is not easy, but it is possible with the right kind of support. Expect to see more self-satisfied slender crocodiles exuding a sense of moral superiority as our movement progresses.

(thanks, Karl!)

Bay Area
Level Contributor
629 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

On a more serious note. I have been reading about this road. But I have been unable to figure out if it is really going to be built. Any word on whether this will actually happen, or not?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

I thought that the warning was hilarious, and I laughed when I saw it. As I know, the new highway will not be built though the Serengeti due to international pressure and the realization that it would cause tremendous damage to Tanzania's tourism industry. I'm delighted that common sense has won out over sheer greed based on short term gains.