We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari Infinity vs BaseCamp??

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Safari Infinity vs BaseCamp??

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has used both of them so they can compare. I got quotes for both Safari Infinity and Basecamp and Basecamp was drastically cheaper by almost 50% and I just wanted to know how the two experiences will compare. I think both will be fine choices based on what I have read, but would love to hear from someone who has been to both to see how they compare. I don't mind splurging if I know it will really be worth it. Also don't want to overpay for minimal differences.

Thanks!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,887 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari Infinity vs BaseCamp??

Are they offering the same lodgings? Otherwise it is difficult to know whether the price difference is due to lodgings or not. I haven't used either of them, but do know both are well reviewed, but Basecamp has been around longer and may be able to offer some of the discounts he may have received given a longer time building relationships with lodging providers. I think SI is still cutting their teeth in the market, but they do a good job in service. You could offer us the condensed version of your itineraries and lodging options, then we may be able to recommend from there.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,631 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari Infinity vs BaseCamp??

I agree. You cannot compare the bottom line price unless you know how it is arrived at.

Basecamp and Safari Infinity both have good reputations from the posts I see here so they must deliver what they promise. Don't look at the bottom line price. Look at what you are getting for the money.

I often say the wildlife don't really care where you sleep but would temper that with you certainly might.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari Infinity vs BaseCamp??

I doubt if you will find someone who has traveled with both, most people if they do multiple safaris and enjoyed the TO on their first would most probably use them again rather than trying a new one.

Both have good reputations on here. And you can never second guess why someone is cheaper, especially there. Some operators will get better pricing at the various lodges, and some will pass that on to their clients, some won't. It's not like in the US where they get a commission for using a lodge, there they get a discount off the rack rate, some will get a larger discount because they use them more often. As I said, some will pass this off to the clients, other increase their profit margins by the discount. And some safari operators will, for whatever reasons, just want to get lower profit margins and make it up on volume.

I have only seen one negative comment about Basecamp, and I don't recall seeing many comments about Safari Infinity. The negative comments was something which really didn't matter, like the ashtrays weren't clean or the driver didn't talk as much as I would have liked. Can't remember the specifics, but at the time I thought it rather trivial.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari Infinity vs BaseCamp??

We leave in 8 weeks for a safari with Basecamp. Can't compare but I can tell you that the pricing for the exact same itinerary with the same lodges varied by about $2,000 per person over 8 operators that I contacted with Basecamp being one of the least expensive.

South Riding VA
Level Contributor
619 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari Infinity vs BaseCamp??

Even if the exact camps chosen don't match up, are both TOs using the same classification of trip? In other words, my trip is scheduled for next year. After I described what I wanted, each TO I requested a quote from slotted me into a category of trip, e.g., basic, semi-luxury, luxury, and then every bell and whistle possible. Have BaseCamp and SI slotted you into the same category? Depending on that response, you may be comparing types of apples to each other or apples to oranges, if that makes sense.

chris

BTW, I am traveling with SI next year.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari Infinity vs BaseCamp??

Besides the contract/discounted rates each outfitter might obtain from specific lodges/camps, and hopefully be passing onto safari-goers, there's also - size of company, # of staff at office, # of vehicles, # of guides, # of cooks, # of mechanics, and others that add to overhead which salaries and bills have to be paid.

As both QM and mfuwe suggested, and me doing as well, why not post abbreviated version of each offering - where visiting,# of days at each, lodge/camp staying, flights if any and prices... we can better comment.

California
Level Contributor
453 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari Infinity vs BaseCamp??

As additional information, I have traveled with Basecamp previously in 2011 and had a very good experience. Part of the reason that we went with them was because they were well reviewed here and their costs were less than other providers we got quotes from.

As everyone has said, make sure you are comparing apples to apples, if you are and one basket of apples delivers similar apples at a lower costs... that might help you make up your mind. I just wanted to chime in to relate my experience with Basecamp so you don't think that lower price is for a cut rate operation.

Enjoy planning and enjoy your trip!

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safari Infinity vs BaseCamp??

Thi T without knowing the exact number of days inside the parks, lodges and camps used, flights if any, impossible to compare.

Safari Infinity do tend to be one of the more expensive local companies and Basecamp one of the cheaper for a very similar quality trip.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safari Infinity vs BaseCamp??

I have to disagree with noexpert, about saying that Safari Infinity is one of the "more expensive local companies" (even though he is an expert. - pole sana!)

I have traveled with SI twice now: first in June 2012 for a 7 day safari of the 4 parks and then again in January 2013 staying in Ndutu and the Crater. I did not look elsewhere to compare prices for my second trip, as I was sold on SI being my TO (as Karl said, we tend to stick with what we know if it was a good choice the first time). But I found their price for the second safari to be quite reasonable and had no reason to question it.

But for my first trip, I sent inquiries to 16 different TOs over the many months I spent planning my trip. Safari Infinity was neither the most expensive, nor the least, for similar itineraries and accommodations. In fact, they were about mid-range when itinerary and level of accommodation were taken into consideration.

They get excellent reviews on TA (I have not seen one negative). Base Camp is also well regarded.

But you really do have to look at the smallest detail and fine print to know if you are comparing apples to apples.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safari Infinity vs BaseCamp??

Kathy feel free and I am no expert.

My comments are based on the many itineraries posted on here over the last year. But I do stand to be corrected by those who have been given a quote from both companies for a "similar" trip.