We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delicate Question Regarding Spending A Penny

Bolton
Level Contributor
216 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Delicate Question Regarding Spending A Penny

Hello

This might be a silly question but I'm wondering what happens if you want to spend a penny or two whilst on the game drives?

Regards

Tiggipaws

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,002 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delicate Question Regarding Spending A Penny

Not a problem. Just tap the driver on the shoulder and ask for "A short call". He will find somewhere safe and discrete for you. Some call it "marking their territory!"

Lancaster
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delicate Question Regarding Spending A Penny

Haha I wondered the exact same thing before our safari. There are toilets at the entrances to some parks and there are toilets at the regular picnic spots around the parks. Our guide wasn't too keen to stop elsewhere for us to spend a penny but he had to a couple of times when hubby really needed to go. I took some toilet roll with us and some hand sanitizer as there isn't always a supply in the rest rooms. I kept it in a makeup pouch in the car so it was always on hand. I must admit I tended to hold out as long as I could as I didn't fancy the al fresco thing and I would have been absolutely mortified if anyone would have seen me!

South Riding VA
Level Contributor
623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delicate Question Regarding Spending A Penny

Boy, oh boy, i saw Tiggipaws' question first thing this morning & I hadn't a clue what it was about. I thought she was looking for a place to buy souvenirs while on the game drive!

I see now why my new Kindle comes with American English & British English dictionaries....

chris

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,335 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delicate Question Regarding Spending A Penny

...and I think it costs a lot more than a penny these days...

Tiggy, plenty of info about this, but hard to know how to search for it. These questions tend to solicit a lot of feedback on TA. Helpful, not so helpful, and then the humerous.

The driver will say he needs to 'check a tire'.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delicate Question Regarding Spending A Penny

Ou driver needed to stop more than us. He always said he was "using the bush toilet"!

Boston...
Level Contributor
203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delicate Question Regarding Spending A Penny

This is a fact of life and you shouldn't be shy about asking for pit stop if you really need one. To minimize this you may want to be sure that you minimize drinking liquids (coffee, tea, beer, wine, etc.) and use the loo right before you head out for game drives. Also, when stopped at a gate/picnic stop, etc. or if your vehicle is stopped to let another passenger go, use the loo there even if you don't really need to.

Bolton
Level Contributor
216 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delicate Question Regarding Spending A Penny

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realise they had toilets at picnic spots. I was imagining going behind a bush with a Lion or similar watching. Hope they smell sweeter than the ones ar Blue Bay Mauritius!

Sorry about confusing our American members.The reply made me laugh though

I was intending to take baby wipes, sensitive of course!

midwest
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delicate Question Regarding Spending A Penny

Aaahhh, the good ol' check tire question :)

Check tire is talked about frequently in our trip report here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293747-i9226-k623…

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Delicate Question Regarding Spending A Penny

I wondered if anyone other than Brits would understand the euphemism.

I personally favour a bush over most public toilets, but if you must use paper or wipes please don't leave it behind. I've seen so many popular bush stops littered with toilet paper. Take a zip lock plastic bag or a paper bag (like ones used for sanitary wear disposal) and put the paper inside and dispose of it when you get to your camp or lodge.

Also, whilst minimising fluid intake might cut down the need for loo stops, it's not really a good idea to risk dehydrating yourself. Better to drink plenty of water and use a bush when you need to. The guide should make sure he's checked the area for lurking lions before he lets you go. This has become my favourite euphemism "I'm just going to check for lions...........".

Edited: 26 October 2013, 16:38
Bolton
Level Contributor
216 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delicate Question Regarding Spending A Penny

I wouldn't dream of littering, its one of my pet hates. I was going to take some doggy bags and throw away at the camp.

Can't imagine not using anything!

Tiggipaws