We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not as it appears

New York
9 posts
Save Topic
Not as it appears

I decided to write a post here just to suggest that people do some more research before making their safari. I wish I had done some more, but some things are not so obviouse.

I traveled with Safari Legacy. Come to find out it is a company owned by an Indian Family that made their fortune in Hunting. The guide says the company no longer does hunting but that the owner is still hunting quite often. I was shocked as the company seems to be very conservation oriented.

I then was told how these Indian owned companies treat Tanzanians. At first I assumed that it was a ploy to get tips, but many Tanzanians freely confirmed that it is common that Indians treat Tanzanians very badly. The working conditions are very poor and the salaries are very low.

I was also surprised that there are so many Indians in Tanzania. They seem to own most of the shops. Also after asking around it turns out that they own many of the "local" tour companies. This includes: Safari Legacy, Easy Travel, Roy Safaris, Leopard, and Predator from what I was told. I am sure there are others. Indians also own SOPA lodges. Don't be fooled into thinking you are booking locally when you are actually booking with Indians that treat locals bad.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Not as it appears

Dear Karl_Gringrich,

As always I appreciate your comments. I also agree with Mfuwe, Aloha, etc. how horrible racism, and making stereotypes is. As someone who has lived in Nairobi, Kenya for 17 months I'm very much aware of the problem that male bosses frequently force female employees to have sex with them, and unfortunately women have no protection against harassment. I'm not claiming to be a saint or angel, but this is something I'm very much opposed to. It not only destroys the dignity of both the man and the women involved, it ruins the element of respect that an employee should have for their boss. It is prevalent everywhere, but especially in the advertising and modeling industries.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Not as it appears

I should stress that I live in Nairobi between nine and ten months of the year. I return to Chicago to visit my mother, and escape the rainy season which happens twice a year.

San Francisco...
8 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Not as it appears

Many Indian Families have been in Tanzania for generations. It is true, many Tanzanians don't like Indians. Some maybe jealous and others might not like that we have worked hard to get to where we are today and there are probably also some that might have been mistreated at one point or another. But this happens all around the world.

24. Re: Not as it appears

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:16