We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hep b vaccination

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hep b vaccination

Hi everyone - I know 1 million vaccine questions have been asked. How did everyone make the decision about Hep B? I've done some quick research and it doesn't seem necessary but the travel clinics tend to bundle Hep A and B together?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hep b vaccination

We only had Hep A.

No one even suggested Hep B for us.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hep b vaccination

Hep B isn't needed but there is a combo hep A and Hep B shot that can be given. Hep B is contracted through IV or blood products.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hep b vaccination

Thank you both for your quick replies. I looked this up and had those exact same questions myself. Cheers!

nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hep b vaccination

I've only had HepA and booster every 10/yrs.

While there is a combo HepA/B (believe called Twinex), and your doc can provide, no harm having this.

Do remember though whether A only or combo A/B, both require follow-up jabs; it's 1 for HepA and believe it's 2 for the A/B.

If I'm incorrect on the latter, am sure StephenH will correct me.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,739 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hep b vaccination

I think the double is Twinrix. Even before volunteering in Africa I chose to have both. One never knows when one might need a blood transfusion in an emergency.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hep b vaccination

TWINRIX is the combo Hep A and B vaccine.

Standard schedule, for adults over the age of 19: first dose, plus additional dose at 1 month later and the next 6 months after the first, to complete the series. There is also a rapid schedule, that I did not need as I had the time.

You can check this website: http://www.twinrix.ca/en/reminder.html

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hep b vaccination

I work in healthcare so,I already had the Hep B. it is the series of 3 and with the required spacing you need six months to complete the series. Hep A is 2 times. Just got my second last week. My other vaccinations from 4 years ago are still good so no more for me. Last time health insurance did not cover the charge but did pay for the Malarone and the antibiotics. Again this time insurance has covered the mess.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hep b vaccination

You are correct 4Sandi.

The one thing to consider is what QM said. If you have to get a blood transfusion in a third world country, the chances of getting hep B is actually quite high. The most likely thing that would cause a blood transfusion on vacation is trauma (vehicle wreck, gunshot, fall, animal attack,,,:)) These are things that could happen so a blood transfusion is not unheard of. Having said that, Hep B would be lower on the risks of concerns after a blood transfusion compared to Hep C or HIV or worse....

nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hep b vaccination

Stephen - Great 'heads-up' re need of transfusion in foreign country should situation/s as mentioned happen. Know my insurance will cover for the Hep-B, so should have next I'm at the doc.

While I'm a universal donor, have never thought about the other way around.

Another reason why I would recommend that all travelers know their blood type and those with whom they travel.

While most GPs can't/don't 'type' blood, but with winter upon us in many areas when the Red Cross (or similar) are always in need, it's a good time to drop in to leave a pint and request they 'type' for you. That's how I had mine done at the peak of the HIV crisis, some 25/yrs ago when the supply of the red liquid and needles were questionnable.

Be a good citizen and just do it.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hep b vaccination

Good point 4sandi. Makes you wonder if a small, third world hospital could accurately type blood quickly. Having your blood type written down with a travel companion could be a life saver.