We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather between November 29th AND December 8th

İstanbul
1 post
Save Topic
Weather between November 29th AND December 8th

Hi,

We want to plan a last minute trip to Tanzania. What we have in mind is 2 nights in Mikumi and 5 nights in Zanzibar. And in Zanzibar, 2 in Stone Town, 3 in Jambiani or in another beach town.

I checked weather.com for a 10 day report and saw that it shows showed for Mikumi, maximum 60% chance of rain. How does it look like for safari? We were planning to stay in one of the lodges and join their daily tours. Also we were not planning to take maleria pills, is it a big risk for this weather?

For Zanzibar, I see scattered or isolated T-storms with again maximum 60% chance of rain. If it rains does it rain all day? Some rain is OK but if it will not let us enjoy the beaches then we want to leave Tanzania to February or September next year.

Any other advice will be welcomed. Thanks in advance...

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,619 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather between November 29th AND December 8th

To visit Tanzania at any time of then year you need protection against Malaria. Going there in the rainy season without this protection is plain stupid. Get the Pills or risk coming back with a souvenir that will be with you the rest of your life..

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
399 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather between November 29th AND December 8th

You need anti malarials whenever you visit. We had no rain last December. It will be warm ...

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather between November 29th AND December 8th

As above, only stupid people do not take a malaria prophylaxis medication when you go to an area where malaria is the biggest killer of people (more people die from malaria in Tanzania than from HIV/AIDS, by far).

You mentioned going to the lodge at Mikumi and getting a safari from there. I might suggest that you go to Mikumi Village, which is on the far side of the Park on the main road there, go to either the Genesis Motel or to VETA. Either will be able to arrange for a safari into Mikumi NP (and it will be much less expensive) and if you wish you can stay there also. I am certain that they have remade the lodge at Mikumi, but this is the only lodge i have ever left after one night and I went to the Genesis Motel. At that time the lodge was $100 a night and the Genesis Motel was $12 and the Genesis Motel was far better than the lodge (this was about 20 years ago so I am certain it is different now, but the price differential will be similar.)

If it rains it will rain for awhile and clear up. It will be much better for you personally to worry about malaria rather than the rains.

4. Re: Weather between November 29th AND December 8th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:16