We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you think of our July/August Safari Itinerary??

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
What do you think of our July/August Safari Itinerary??

This board has become addictive. :) I check it WAY too many times each day to see what else I can glean from you well informed Tanzania experts. Many thanks for all of the helpful posts I have already read. We are traveling from July 19 through August 9 of next year with two kids who will be 10 & 12. This is the rough itinerary we are considering, though we haven’t yet finalized or chosen a TO. I’ve gotten a variety of quotes from some very helpful operators, though it is difficult to really compare apples to apples. I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Day 1 – Arriving 1:10 a.m.; transfer to Arusha or KIA

Day 2 – Arusha. Rest and recuperate for a day. River Trees/Twiga/Mt. Meru/Bay Leaf??

Day 3 – Arusha. Visit Arusha N.P. Hike and/or canoe.

Day 4 – Arusha. Day hike somewhere on Kilimanjaro? Londrossi? Not sure about this. Worthwhile? Better to spend the day in Serengeti or elsewhere?

Day 5 – Travel to Tarangire. Tarangire Safari Lodge.

Day 6 – Tarangire. Tarangire Safari Lodge.

Day 7 – Tarangire. Tarangire Safari Lodge.

Day 8 – Travel to Manyara, then to Ngorongoro Crater. Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge.

Day 9 – Ngorongoro. Crater drive. Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge.

Day 10 – Travel to Central Serengeti. Options include Kati Kati Tented Camp/Ronjo Camp/Lemala Ewanjan/Kirurumu/Wayo Green camp (some big price differentials).

Day 11 – Central Serengeti.

Day 12 – Travel to Northern Serengeti. Options include North Wilderness Camp/Olikira Mara Camp/Kimburu Camp/Lemala Mara Camp/Wayo Green. Where else?

Day 13 – Northern Serengeti.

Day 14 – Another day in either Central or Northern Serengeti, probably Northern.

Day 15 – Fly from Northern Serengeti to Selous Game Reserve. Rufiji River Camp or possibly Selous Impala Camp.

Day 16 – Selous. Rufiji River Camp or Selous Impala Camp.

Day 17 – Selous. Rufiji River Camp or Selous Impala Camp.

Day 18 – Fly to Zanzibar. Sunshine Hotel, Zanzibar Retreat or Pongwe Beach Hotel. All look nice. Thoughts. Still considering Mafia Island instead.

Day 19 – Zanzibar

Day 20 – Zanzibar

Day 21 – Zanzibar

Day 22 – Fly Zanzibar to JRO arriving in the afternoon. Stay at KIA Lodge.

Day (Night?) 23 – Depart JRO at 2:30 a.m.

So there you have it. Mixed in with these travels, I am hoping to schedule a number of school and village type visits. Lake Eyasi has some appeal as well. I’m really looking forward to what you have to day!

Bill

Easy Travel & Tours Ltd
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Gosheni Safaris Africa
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
African Scenic Safaris
Hiking & Camping Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Climbing Tours
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,503 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you think of our July/August Safari Itinerary??

Feeding your addiction I have to say the trip you have planned out looks fine to me. I like the choice of camps for the first part but after North Serengeti I have no experience.

When in Selous I have stayed at river Camp which is lovely. I have not used Impala but have stayed at the same firms Lake Mwanze Camp which is more to my liking. Impala is a built Lodge but does have children appeal.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,219 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you think of our July/August Safari Itinerary??

I would ask why Selous rather than Ruaha? I've been to both parks and given the choice would prefer Ruaha- I have had generally better game viewing in Ruaha. Selous does offer boating which I guess would add a bit of variety.

In terms of cost, I don't think it would be much different. The Serengeti to Ruaha flight would cost slightly less, but Ruaha to ZNZ would be more, so I think the flights to Ruaha would be a bit more overall. However, I've found the camps in Ruaha to be slightly cheaper than Selous and the park fees are less so overall I think it would balance out the slightly higher flight costs.

Although I think you can only fly from the northern circuit to Ruaha on Mon and Thurs now, so that might not fit in with your dates.

nb canada
Level Contributor
274 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you think of our July/August Safari Itinerary??

I could also join the addiction group with you Bill. I can't comment on much of your itinerary except is there a reason you are staying 2 nights at the Sopa? On day 9 I highly recommend an early descent (sorry to your kids) and you will have plenty of time to get to Central Serengeti. The extra night for me would be better spent by adding Lake Eyasi, or another night in the Serengeti.

Edited: 26 November 2013, 10:06
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,503 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you think of our July/August Safari Itinerary??

Addicts be warned. There is as yet no such organisation as TA Anonymous. It's Cold Guinea Fowl for us all.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you think of our July/August Safari Itinerary??

Thanks for your thoughts!

Stokeygirl, we were focusing on Selous for the better (or at least more frequent) connections and because the safari by boat sounded like a nice change. Different perspective on animals from the water. My hunch is that taken all together, we will not lack for game viewing opportunities on this trip.

NBL, I think you are right and I will look at that. My thought had been to try and avoid too many one night stands - I don't mind, but my younger companions get more weary. :) Trying to build in a few afternoons of just hanging by a pool or chilling. With that view, The Sopa on the Crater rim seemed like a decent choice.

Bill

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you think of our July/August Safari Itinerary??

Your kids might be happier with a different pool. I've never seen anyone use the one at the crater Sopa -- it tends to be pretty chilly at that altitude, even in the middle of the day, and pools in Tanzania aren't heated.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you think of our July/August Safari Itinerary??

Boulder Bill

It will be pretty cool at the crater in July/ August.

I would stay 1 night at Ngo. Then still stay the 2 nights central and then on the drive to the North the Mara River area I would add the night to Lobo Wildlife lodge and break up that drive on day 12 and then the night saved stay at Lobo Wildlife lodge it is great for kids and has a very nice pool. Even though it is a one night stand would break up that long journey.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,035 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you think of our July/August Safari Itinerary??

Granted us adults are aware the air is rather nippy in July/Aug, but 10 & 12/yr olds usually don't care much. A pool at any altitude might be something else they'd prefer to do and won't acknowledge even as they turn blue. :-)

Midday though the air is usually comfy, so they might survive given the opportunity.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you think of our July/August Safari Itinerary??

I think that your children would love a visit to the Hadzabe at Lake Eyasi, to follow them as they hunt. It could involve a killing for food, but it is a remarkable chance to see an ancient way of life. They also teach shooting a bow and arrow and have a target contest-it was interesting to me, and as a fifth grade teacher, I think that age would love it, as long as they could take an animal death-a part of the circle of life. Also don't miss a visit to a weekly or monthly marketplace-quite an experience.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you think of our July/August Safari Itinerary??

Well I'm certainly not getting in that pool! :) But they swim in the ocean in Maine, so go figure.

Lobo looks kind of goofy NE, but the stop over does seem logical and I like the idea. The location certainly looks lovely.

Scuiguy, thanks. I was looking at that as well and couldn't get a sense as to how or whether it was staged and goofy at Lake Eyasi or something genuinely interesting and educational. Sounds like you think the later. I will look into it more. Any place to stay down there that is recommended?

Bill