We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when is the good time to see great migration

California
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
when is the good time to see great migration

Hi,

We, a family of four with 18 year old boy and 14 year old girl, plan to go to Tanzania during the summer of 2014 for about two weeks, We want to see Great Migration, and need advices on when is best time to go during the summer (between June to middle Augt.). And any suggestions about tour companies and places to see the Great Migration are greatly appreciated. We also like to visit local villeges and schools to experience the culture. Our budget is in the middle, we would like to stay and travle comfortablely if possible. Thank you very much!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: when is the good time to see great migration

I do not understand the great migration as others do. However, I understand something for sure, you are trying to over-predict what the animals are going to do. These animals have never looked at a map or at a calendar. They do not show up a certain week each year. It is unpredictable and you need to change the way you are looking at this. Plus, will you really be disappointed if you go and see only a few thousands a day instead of 10,000 or 20,000 at a time? Can you really count that many that quickly? Go and enjoy whatever you see. You can plan to the day like you are trying to do. The animals are unpredictable and vary their behavior day to day and week to week and year to year.

If you are completely set on seeing a river crossing, you are really risking disappointment.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: when is the good time to see great migration

I'm with Stephen... if you want to be assured of anything with regards to animals, best you consider the San Diego Zoo. Once out in the wild, weather will impacted what you see (or not) from year-to-year, and if/what animals might or might not do.

If traveling June/early-July, as past years experiences (really guestimates) the best place to stay would be the Grumeti River area/Western Corridor. Still there is no guarantee you will experience a river crossing as it's possible the river won't have sufficient water.

If if you overplan, you'll only be disappointed. Go for the overall experience.

California
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: when is the good time to see great migration

Thanks! You are right! I try to plan the best, and expect the least! Will come back with more questions :).

Happy Holiday to all of you!

California
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: when is the good time to see great migration

Dear friends,

Below is our tentative itinerary, please give any suggestions, especially with the lodges and locations. Thanks! We prefer Safari Camp and the location that is easy access to the big games, and great migration. Combine mid-range to mid-high level.Thanks!

Day 1 June/11: Arusha : Mount Meru Hotel

Day 2 Ngorongoro and Maasia culture

half day Cultural Tour at Mto wa Mbu including visiting the Maasai village and school, stay at Ngorongoro Senera lodge or Ngorongoro sopa lodge ? which one is better for the view?

Day 3 Serengeti National Park

Early morning Ngorongoro crater, a tour in the crater ?. Afternoon to Serengeti National Park through Olduvai Gorge(visit the place), stay at Dunia camp or Lemala Ewanja camp? Which one is better location?

DAY4: SERENGETI NATIONAL PARK

Game drive, searching for migration . Stay at Dunia camp/Lemala Ewanjan camp or Mbalageti Lodge depending on migration location. Can we do that? If not, we will stay in the center of the park for two nights,

DAY5: SERENGETI NATIONAL PARK

Morning Hot Air Balloon ride gamedrive , stay at Mbalageti Lodge.

DAY6: ZANZIBAR

Fly to Zanzibar Island, stay at Zanzibar Retreat Hotel or Matemwe Bandas Hotel.

DAY7: Stone Town guide tour for a half day, stay at Zanzibar Retreat Hotel or Matemwe Bandas Hotel. Half board

DAY 8: NORTH EAST BEACH, ZANZIBAR

dolphin trip or snorkeling

DAY 9: 19th June 2014

departure

We might stay one more day in Serengiti or stay one night at Tarangire for safari walking and night drive, was planning to stay at Boundary Hill Lodge, but saw bad reviews. Any good lodges that offer night drive and walking? And any comments on night drive? Is it really good?

Also we might have to do the trip reverse, because we might have to fly to Dar Es Salaam instead of JRO, then we will fly from Dar to Serengeti.

Please give as many suggestions as possible. I can't thank you enough for all of your help!

Jianming

nyc
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: when is the good time to see great migration

Even if you arrive DAR instead of JRO, it's not a non-stop fliight to the Serengeti; probably a stop at JRO or Arusha/ARK (you're not back at home).. thus you can still follow the initial route depending on availability at lodge/camps you wish on the dates you'll be in-country.

During June/early July, I feel staying at a Mbalageti chalet (in Western corridor) or Lemala Ewanjan (Central) would be best choice as available. Dunia is lovely, but a bit south for that time of year. Mbalageti has 26 chalets, Ewanjan and Dunia each have less than 10/tents each. Between mid-May thru mid-July the herds can be anywhere from Central to West and often even move back-n-forth; some even start to head farther north. I haven't seen the same route/month/weeks in the many visits during that time=frame, so best to go with the flow and be surprised at what you might see around the next bend in the road.

On Zanzibar, big difference especially in price between Matemwe Retreat ($$$$) vs Bandas ($$), but there are many choices at all budgets on the island... suggest a/c be a definite requirement as the coast is tropical so hot/humid year-round.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 23:28
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,595 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: when is the good time to see great migration

i hope you can spend another day somewhere. Seems a very short trip. It is a toss up as Tarangire has mini migration of elephants and Serengeti, well, it is just the best.

Many find the Mto wa Mbo village tour interwsting. The Maasai boma visits closer to Ngoro crater, are not so well liked. Heavy selling tactics and very commercialized. Unless one of your party has a real interest in Oldavi Gorge, it migt be a little boring. I would not recommend it for the non interested.

I can't comment on the lodgings, except to say Boundary Hills is lovely. Every place gets some bad reviews, and even I was critical of some of the upkeep at the time, but that has been rectified. Given the numerous Excellent standings recently, many seem to apprecite the uniqueness of it all. However, if you prefer so ething traditional or Western, it might not suit.

Oh, I hope you enjoy the hot air balloon ride as mich as I did. The following open air breakfast and 'loo with a view',was enjoyable.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: when is the good time to see great migration

Another idea for Tarangire (which was my favorite park), is outside the park-Whistling Thorn Tented Camp. They have night drives, bush walks, visits to a more authentic Maasai village, plus the Maasai warriors come to dance at your camp, and there is a newer Maasai school you could visit.

Antwerp, Belgium
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: when is the good time to see great migration

Please visit Tarangire; that's so nice with all the elephants. After the Crater you'll drive directly to your lodge/tented camp. With a balloon safari you'll see not much of this NP. I'm afraid you'll regret this. Let me recommend IdreamofAfrica; they make real great itineraries according to your wishes and comments and take their time for you. We had a great safari.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: when is the good time to see great migration

Hi there,

I would stay at the Sopa at the Crater as it is very near the access road and great views of sunset over the crater.

I agree with others your safari itinerary is very short I would try and add a day or 2. I would definately include Tarangire and given the time of year you are travelling I would stay inside the park. If Tarangire safari lodge has vacancies I would stay there (you can do night drives and bush walks from there if you have time). Sitting on the terrace there with a drink watching everything around you is fantastic.

I too really enjoyed my balloon flight over the Serengeti, I hope you do too.

California
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: when is the good time to see great migration

Thank you all for your great input!!! I can't do it without your help!!! Here is my revised itinerary

Day 1 Arusha : Mount Meru Hotel

Day 2 Tarangire NP, bush walk, night drive, stay at Taragire Safari Lodge

Day 3 Ngorongoro and Maasia Culture

Driving to Lake Manyara Area (Mto Wa Mbu) for cultural tour and school tour. Stay at Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge

Day 4 Serengeti NP

Early morning Ngorongoro crater, afternoon to Serengeti NP . Game drive, or looking for migration. Stay at Lemala Ewanja camp.

Day 5 Serengeti NP

Game drive, searching for migration. Stay at Mbalageti Lodge depending

Day 6 Serengeti NP Morning hot air balloon ride. looking for migration, stay at Mbalageti Lodge.

Day 7 leaving for Zanzibar, most likely stay at Zanzibar retreat hotel.

Day 8 & 9 Zanzibar retreat hotel

Day 10, leave Zanzibar

I am confused. Is Mto Wa Mbu near Lake Manyara Area not Mto wa Mbo village? Where is Mto Wa Mbo village? How do we go there?

Thank you very much!