We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Week to Go!

Geneva, IL
Level Contributor
93 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
One Week to Go!

Hello

It's hard to believe that after a year of planning, our trip is only a week away! I spent much longer planning this trip than I did planning my wedding. We fly to Zurich next Thursday for one night before flying on to Nairobi for two nights. It turned out considerably cheaper for us to do this than flying directly to Tanzania. Plus, we adopted a baby elephant from the Sheldrick Wildlife Trust so we have to go visit him. We are going to see him for both the public and private visits. We also felt we would see more taking the shuttle to Arusha and it's hard to beat the price!

We are doing a private birding safari but of course we will be anxious to see as many animals as possible. Our itinerary is:

2 nights Arusha (Impala Hotel)

2 nights Tarangire (Whistling Thorn Tented Camp)

2 nights Crater (Sopa)

3 nights Serengeti (Sopa)

2 nights Lake Manyara (Wildlife Lodge)

I had posted a few weeks ago on some tablet advice and I am now the happy owner of a Google Nexus. It is possible to transfer image files from a camera on to the tablet as we have tested it out. It is necessary to make sure the tablet has the 4.4 operating systems as there are issues doing this with the 4.3 but my brother-in-law was able to do this easily. Then we purchased an on-the-go cable and a usb card reader. Works like a charm!

Just wanted to thank all those who contribute to the TA forum as I have haunted this for the past year for advice and info. I will be sure to write reviews and post pictures on my return.

Thanks again!

Regina

South Riding VA
Level Contributor
623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Week to Go!

Regina, It appears that there are going to be more than a few TA posters in country at the same time!. Wouldn't it be great if a few met up by chance.

Have a wonderful time. We'll be waiting to hear about each leg of your trip!

chris

Edited: 19 December 2013, 19:59
Chicago
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Week to Go!

Have a great trip. You will love Whistling Thorn. Safari njema!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17,443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Week to Go!

regina, have a great time (i am following closely behind you) so what last minute things have you done that you previously didn't think to do? (yes i have the feeling i am missing something BIG)

(btw, i used to live in both Wheaton and Naperville! miss Chicago but not the weather)

Geneva, IL
Level Contributor
93 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Week to Go!

Hi Siouxxie

You would relally not like the weather we've had in December. Lots of snow, sub-zero windcills and now maybe some rain/sleet on top of all that. So long as the roads/runway is clear though next week!

I just signed up for the Flying Doctors and picked up my Malarone. Also made myself a currency converter for Kenya and Tanzania. Their currencies are not similar!

Still on my to-do list:

Download movies to tablet

Add address list for postcards

Find plug adapters

Print out all trip info and also email myself PDFs

Pack!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17,443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Week to Go!

i just got my typhoid meds prescription. i'm so pumped full of live viruses i couldn't give blood today (thought it would be my last time for the next year. turns out the LAST time was my last time.) lol

you sound ready, Regina! (some of my family are still waiting for their postcards from Turkey--from two years ago! so I will be buying the postcards in country and mailing them from here! haha. except for my neurosurgeon, he gets a postcard from Tanzania)

currency converter--good idea. Rwanda and Tanzania are not the same....

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Week to Go!

BTW- I'm in Glen Ellyn- we should compare notes when you return.

Geneva, IL
Level Contributor
93 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Week to Go!

Sure. Your review of Whistling Thorn was what made me look into it!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
864 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Week to Go!

You can download currency converters to your iPhone or iPad. They are real easy to use and free.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17,443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Week to Go!

Thanks aloha!

Glen Ellyn, Sciguy? Spent a lot of time there, charming little town, right next to Wheaton (as you know. Lol) Small world!

Can't wait for your trip report, Regina!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Week to Go!

Regina -- I love Whistling Thorn, too -- I'm excited for you, and envious. Have a great trip!