We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arusha - Marangu - Tanga: feasible & worth?

Finland
Level Contributor
212 posts
256 reviews
Save Topic
Arusha - Marangu - Tanga: feasible & worth?

I am planning a post-safari family (2 adults, 2 kids < 7 years) trip from Arusha to Pangani. To break the long trip into shorter cuts, I was wondering to take a bus from Arusha to Moshi and then to Marangu and after a couple of days, Marangu-Moshi-Tanga. Would it be worth to visit Marangu or too heavy for the kids? Also, we have 3 luggages and some other stuff, and I'm not sute if dala-dala is really our case - perhaps a taxi or driver from Moshi? Any other suggestions between Arusha - Tanga, just landscape or something nice for a day ot two stop before the beach time. After a short visit to Tanga, we'll spend a couple of weeks in Pangani area. Thanks.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arusha - Marangu - Tanga: feasible & worth?

I wouldn't go to Marangu why not visit the Usmabara's on the way But again the luggage could be a problem as you would need a Dala dala from Mombo where you would get off the Arusha Tanga bus. As an alternative you could hire a car to take you up into the hills.

The area is really beautiful and you could easily do some walks there before heading to Tanga and Pangani.

Arusha
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arusha - Marangu - Tanga: feasible & worth?

I would suggest you hire a car or even a driver, because with two kids and luggage it can be somehow exhausting in the bus / dala dala. Marangu is nice, you can for example make a little cultural tour there. But also Usambara mountains as noexpert suggested are great. Anyway the landscape between Arusha and Pangani is beautiful, you can stop almost everywhere :-)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arusha - Marangu - Tanga: feasible & worth?

Some visit in Lushoto further East than Moshi. On the bus route, but less infrastructure, so luggage still a problem.

If coming back to Arusha (maybe you are not) can you reduce the luggage and leave it for later pick up? Packbacks, even the kids if they are old enough?

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arusha - Marangu - Tanga: feasible & worth?

I have to do this since Mfuwe is not posting right now...

Do you really have the choice between leaving the luggage or leaving the kids-their age makes a difference?-I didn't know that was an option.

Edited: 24 December 2013, 14:07
Finland
Level Contributor
212 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arusha - Marangu - Tanga: feasible & worth?

Thank you for the messages. We skip Marangu this time and try to visit a bit the Usambara area for few days. The luggages and the kids will, hopefully, stay with us. About accommodation, any suggestions? Swiss Farm Cottages?

6. Re: Arusha - Marangu - Tanga: feasible & worth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 06:18