We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar

calcutta
Level Contributor
30 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Dollar

I shall be visiting Tanzania in next Feb, I shall be carrying 2006 US Dollar bills with me. will it be O.K.?

Dar es salaam
Level Contributor
81 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollar

Anything after 2000 is good. Anything after 2003 is even better. You will not have any problems with 2006.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollar

..... and be sure these notes are in good condition - no folds, ink marks, torn, taped, etc. While they don't have to be brand new, good condition from 2006 forward (2008/9) even better.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollar

Sooo…US dollars are the going preferred currency?….over Shillings? If I'm Canadian, is it better to convert my CAD over to US before leaving?

…..sorry for jumping on here;)

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollar

In your circumstance I would bring some USD. Be sure they are 2006 or newer. Many banks have refused clean 2004 bills lately. But I would suggest that you bring CAD for whatever you might want to exchange into TZS. We always recommend that tips should be in TZS because that is what people use here. While you will not get the best exchange rate on CAD you will surely save a little over exchange CAD to USD then to TZS.

Also you can use ATMs here to take out TZS. So many people travel with emergency cash and then take out what shillings they will need.

The only thing that you will actually be required to pay in USD is your Visa when you arrive at the airport. The rest you will probably get a better deal if you pay in TZS. Some hotels will bill things in TZS and then if you ask to pay in USD they will accept but at a horrible rate like $1=1000 TZS. That means you are overpaying by 35%.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollar

Unless you have a USD a/c in Canada as many of my friends do, don't bother to change CAD to USD as you'll lose both ways buying and selling.

Use the CAD to change into TSh at Forex office in Arusha. Check one of the currency sites for an idea of current rate of exchange and print out a 'cheat sheet' = CAD/TSH and TSH/CAD - so you have knowledge fo what it is you're spending. TSh can be used to guides, camp staffs and incidental expenses.

Be sure though to use all TSh prior departing country as often difficult to change back to CAD on leaving for home.. TSH is not an open currency and you sure won't be able to do so once back in Canada or with great diffculty.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollar

Whatever Tz Shillings you have when you are going to the airport to return home, stop at a Bureau d' Change and exchange your Tz Shillings back into your loonies or USD.

Kingston Ontario
Level Contributor
48 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollar

What restrictions are there on Canadian bills? After a specific year like US? I presume no tears, folds, ink marks....

Any other information I should know about taking Canadian vs US ?

Thanks!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollar

I would only have them to exchange at the bureau d' change into local currency. If you try to spend them in other places they will probably refuse them or give you such as poor exchange rate that you would not wish to do that. I am not certain if the loonie has an issue date on them or not, but if they do I would try to make certain that it is a recent date.

If you have local currency (Tz Shillings) when you leave the country make certain that you get back to a bureau d' change and exchange them back into either US or Canadian dollars. You won't be able to get that done easily after leaving the country.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,461 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dollar

Judi, I take USdollars that I have preordered from an exchange bureau for recent issue and pristine condition. Thankfully the vureau receives two shipments a week, one being new bills. I have a list of denominations I want and email them the request. They call me when they are in. It is cheaper than a bank. I nevwr use my Cdn money for travel as it has a poor exchange rate, but I do use a debit card to get local currency. At that transaction, the exchange rates are much better.

Kingston Ontario
Level Contributor
48 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dollar

Thanks!

Another thing I can 'tick off' my list to things to do... somehow the list keeps getting longer instead of shorter and we leave 6 weeks today!!!