We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on finalizing Tanzania/Kenya/Zanzibar trip?

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Help on finalizing Tanzania/Kenya/Zanzibar trip?

Does anyone have suggestions/concerns about our 23 day trip(excluding African flights to and from). I ve been doing a lot of reading for many weeks on here and Complete Safari and have contacted about 10 TO and have narrowed it to 1 or 2. But we could still use your help. We are flying Qatar arriving and departing NBO June 25(1:40 PM) and departing July 18 (5:25 PM). We want a variety of activities, safaris, experiencing culture, and some beach but the 1st two are our biggest priorities. We want to stay in a combination of lodges and tents that are budget to medium range. Right now we have an extra 2 days(due to a awesome flying rate that was 2 days longer then we intended) What a bumper :-) Heres our present 21 day itinerary. We prefer the extra days be either cultural or safaris. Thank you very much

DAY 1/ ARRIVE JRO TRANSFER TO NAIROBI Sarova Pana Fric

DAY 2/ NAIROBI DRIVE TO MAASAI MARA Ashnil Mara Camp

DAY 3/ MAASAI MARA Ashnil

DAY 4/ MAASAI MARA Ashnil

DAY 5/ MAASAI MARA TO LAKE VICTORIA Speke Bay

DAY 6/ LAKE VICTORIA TO CENTRAL SERENGETI Kati Kati

DAY 7/ CENTRAL SERENGETI TO NORTHERN SERENGETI Serengeti Wilderness Camp North

DAY 8/ NORTHERN SERENGETI Serengeti Wilderness Camp North

DAY 9/ NORTHERN TO CENTRAL SERENGETI Kati Kati

DAY 10/ CENTRAL SERENGETI Kati Kati

DAY 11/ CENTRAL SERENGETI TO NGORORGORO Rhino Lodge

DAY 12/ NGORONGORO TO LAKE EYASI Kisima Ngeda

DAY 13/ LAKE EYASI TO TARANGIRE Maramboi Tented Camp

DAY 14/ TARANGIRE The Bay Leaf

DAY 15/ ARUSHA TO MT KILO BACK TO ARUSHA The Bay Leaf

DAY 16/ ARUSHA TO KJO TO ZANZIBAR AIRPORT TO STONE TOWN Serena Inn

DAY 17/ STONE TOWN Serena Inn

DAY 18/ STONE TOWN TO Pongwe Beach Hotel

DAY 19/ Pongwe

DAY 20/ Pongwe

DAY 21/ Pongwe TO ZANZIBAR AIRPORT TO KJO (DEPART)

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on finalizing Tanzania/Kenya/Zanzibar trip?

You will have had plenty of time on safari so If you have an extra couple of days why not find a local organisation to support and spend a couple of days with them. You will see a completely different side of Tanzania if you do this. We support ACTT (Affordable Computers and Technology for Tanzania).

www.actt.co.tz

ACTT are a small very friendly organisation based in Moshi which is about an hour from JRO. Moshi is a great town to spend a couple of days in. If you want to, perhaps do a bit of fund raising before you go and support a local school with computers through ACTT. This really will be an experience you will never forget and will really enhance to your trip.

If you would like more details please contact me or read my trip reports by following the link below

tripadvisor.co.uk/…50360854

Edited: 14 January 2014, 15:58
Chicago
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on finalizing Tanzania/Kenya/Zanzibar trip?

You have a lot of time in the Serengeti ecosystem with Masai Mara and Serengeti, and not much at Tarangire. My favorite park. I would personally cut some in the Serengeti and add to Tarangire, maybe even stop at Lake Manyara, and also work in some cultural experience in Mto wa Mbu area, maybe stopping at a school an orphanage or local marketplaces.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,744 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on finalizing Tanzania/Kenya/Zanzibar trip?

Ashnil Mara is being avoided (boycotted) by many tour operators as it was built under protest on a Rhino breeding ground. It's also not eco-friendly, that is fenced, has lots of concrete along with high gates with razor wire atop. Am sure you can find another comparable camp

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on finalizing Tanzania/Kenya/Zanzibar trip?

Shep, thanks for the suggestion. We had actually asked our TO for suggestions where to volunteer. We probably will be going to Nora's Child Care Trust if all works out. It looks like a place that can use plenty of help. :-) Has anyone volunteered or heard about Noras?

Sciguy, is Lake Manyara is still a good place to visit as I read that its not what it use to be? I was thinking of taking a day or two from either Serengeti or Masai as the migration probably will be in Serengeti in June/early July. We did add a day to Arusha to break it up by doing some canoeing.

If anyone else has any suggestion, please free feel make them as we are soon going to finalize our plans.

Thanks in advance

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on finalizing Tanzania/Kenya/Zanzibar trip?

Hi there. That all sounds good. I have not heard of this organisation so do report back on your experiences. Do be aware that if you are actually volunteering you will need a volunteer visa (nota tourist visa) which will cost $200. Also be aware that to be really useful as a volunteer you do need to spend several weeks with an organisation. Anyway I hope it all works out. Good luck.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help on finalizing Tanzania/Kenya/Zanzibar trip?

I guess Im confused cause when we asked for suggestions for 2 days, you had suggested to do volunteer work? I wasn't aware there is a different visa to volunteer? Thanks

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help on finalizing Tanzania/Kenya/Zanzibar trip?

Hi there, ok I think you may a bit confused as to what I was suggesting. I wasn't suggesting you do volunteer work. In reality 2 days is not long enough to really do this. For such a short period of time you are more likely to cause more work for an organisation than help. And as I say if you are going to "work" as a volunteer for even a short period you need a volunteer visa at a cost of $200. For more information read this thread below (or one of many others on the subject)

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293747-i9226-k6…

What I was suggesting was that you find an organisation that you think does good work. Before you go spend sometime finding out what they do and do some fundraising for them and then spend a bit of time with them when you are there just learning more about what they do and how you can maybe help more in the future. Yes this will involve a bit more work by you but will be much more helpful to them and rewarding for you.

For example we support ACTT as I said ( www.act.co.tz ). They put computers labs into schools and provide computer training for the marginalised youth of Tanzania. So you could fund raise for computers for a school before you go and then spend a couple of days with ACTT while in Tanzania and see what they do, be there when the computers are put in the school you are helping etc. You will see the school, the offices of ACTT, talk with the staff and students and perhaps be invited to dinner at their house etc. This way you are really helping the people of Tanzania and will actually be spending sometime seeing a side of Tanzania that most tourists don't see.

I hope that helps. For any more information please ask.

Edited: 18 January 2014, 08:08
Bristol
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help on finalizing Tanzania/Kenya/Zanzibar trip?

Whoops wrong link for ACTT it's www.actt.co.tz

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help on finalizing Tanzania/Kenya/Zanzibar trip?

I enjoyed Manyara as a different ecosystem but did not find it exciting, rather relaxing. If you have time, it's a good choice to stop but not as a substitute for another park. My favorite was still Tarangire.

10. Re: Help on finalizing Tanzania/Kenya/Zanzibar trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 05:17