We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzania Safari Routing/Transfer question

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Tanzania Safari Routing/Transfer question

Hi all,

I've already gotten so much out of TripAdvisor and envy those of you with all the experience and hope I can share my experience as I start to gain some! Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice.

I'm planning a safari for July and am trying to figure out the best order to do everything I'd like to do.

I'd like to do the following:

-3 nights Northern Serengeti

-2 nights Central Serengeti

-1 night Ngorongoro crater

-2 nights in Tarangire.

Perhaps it's more correct to say that I'd like to get to be out and about 3 days in NS, 2 days in CS, 1 6 hour game drive into the crater, and get 2 days worth of game drives in Tarangire.

We'll be flying in and out of Nairobi and presumably will start and end in Arusha. My specific questions are:

1. Should we start by going to Tarangire and then work our way up to the Crater, then Serengeti, or should we get to the Serengeti first and then work our way down to Tarangire?

2. If we have private transport is it better to just drive everywhere, or should we plan on some flying?

3. If we fly would you just fly from the Northern Serengeti to Arusha (or Arusha to NS if we go in that order) or would you include flights for other transfers as well?

4. Given that we'll be driving right past Lake Manyara, is this a "must-see" or are we better served just getting to the Crater?

5.Do we have time to spend in Manyara if we're driving from Tarangire to Ngorongoro or is this a full-day's drive without time to stop?

5. If we do the 6 hour morning game drive at Ngorongoro will we have time to get from there to the Central Serengeti that night or do we need to spend the night before driving on to the Central Serengeti?

Any other advice is always appreciated!

Again, thank you so much for your help!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,449 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanzania Safari Routing/Transfer question

Where to start.

You can do a lineal trip by flying one way and visiting parks in order the other way. Whether tis best to fly out and hit Serengeti with a bang or drive out and end on a high, is much debated on here. Both have their Advocates.

to get 'almost' 2 days game drives in Tarangire you would need to leave Arusha early, it is over two hours to park Gate, or v.v. I think you will be lucky to get any real time in TNP coming after a Crater drive in the morning.

4. Manyara. I love it and it pains me to say this but unless you have a full day in there, and you have NO time if coming from Crater, as above, then drive by and save the Fee.

5. Yes, you could do it that way but you would feel rushed and it depends on where you have slept and where you will that night.

5b or maybe 6. If you enter the crater early and take your 6 hours you have ample time to make CS before dark, wildlife stops permitting.

Extra advice. Take it slowly. See more by doing less.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,663 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanzania Safari Routing/Transfer question

As most know I prefer 'to save the best for last' thus travel from Arusha west - Tarangire, Manyara, Ngorongoro, Central Serengeti, No. Serenget - then fly back to Arusha. Doing the opposite is fine also and some favor that... it;s your choice. Neither is right or wrong. And, as on a private safari where generally you have scheduled morning & afternoon game drives, unless your tour operator limits mileage (not many do), you can have full-day game drives... so I wouldn't make a big deal over that.

There is no reason to be flying between these areas, but for either flying Arusha/Serengeti or Serengeti/Arusha. The distances between these areas are short enough that visitors can handle the drives which shouldn't be more than 3-4/hrs at max, most are half that.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanzania Safari Routing/Transfer question

Great responses, thanks so much to both of you for responding quickly. I see i did give you two "#5" instead of 5 and 6, my mistake!

Mfuwe: seeing more by doing less is great advice... we'll definitely heed this and try to breathe and not get overwhelmed or rushed, thanks! I think we'll also take your advice and skip Manyara.

4Sandi- Good to know that driving times aren't too bad. I think we'll probably lean toward's your "best for last" idea... though I have one question that perhaps you could address on that. I've read that TNP is best July-Oct. If we're there in the first week of July are we cutting it too close on getting optimal game viewing? Would showing up to TNP a week later be "safer" in that sense, or is all of July about the same?

Thanks again, so much guys!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,449 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanzania Safari Routing/Transfer question

Tarangire is great at any time of the year. whilst it is to some extent better in the dry season I was very happy earlier this month 6/7th. I think we saw 4999 of the 5,000 Elephant said to be in the NP as we drove through from Boundary Hill Gate to the main road. We saw other stuff but 17 Wilddogs were seen by some lucky people the day before we arrived..

so July will be fine. the park is never empty.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanzania Safari Routing/Transfer question

Great, thanks!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,663 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanzania Safari Routing/Transfer question

At one time when the world was somewhat assured of seasons, it was assumed that only July/Oct were the best/only time to visit. Not the case anymore these days. People visit year-round and though maybe not as many ellees or some other species, but you sure will not be disappointed. One week or two won't make a difference to the game as they don't check calendars. Only difference might be that the grasses will be a bit higher 1st week than 2nd week, but for sure you won't miss the elephants, giraffes, buffalo and many others. Certainly not something to fret about. Go and enjoy.

7. Re: Tanzania Safari Routing/Transfer question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:19