We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Safari Help !!

Imperial, Missouri
12 posts
Save Topic
Need Safari Help !!

I am trying to plan my honeymoon, which is panning out to be as stressful as planning my wedding!! :)

Our goal is to Safari in Tanzania and relax in Zanzibar. I have researched numerous companies that offer safari/beach packages, many are extremely pricey !! I recently had someone suggest that I just fly there and pretty much "wing it" ... Book Safari once I'm there, arrange my own travel to Zanzibar and book hotel once there. After ready others posts, it seems like that is a common thing to do??

Here are some questions I have if anyone can help me out.

1. Best airport to fly into?

2. Is Arusha best place to book safari from?

3. Does "winging it" sound like a good & most importantly safe decision, is it that common?

Easy Travel & Tours Ltd
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Safaris
Gosheni Safaris Africa
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
African Scenic Safaris
Climbing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,190 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Safari Help !!

I would never have dared "wing" a honeymoon trip. You may not get perfection but at least you should strive for it.

the folks who arrive and try to book everything on the ground sometimes get lucky and often get ripped off. If spare capacity exists with a firm then ask yourself why this should be? Good places and firms get booked up months ahead. You are left with the tail end which is cheap for a reason.

So to the questions:-

1. Kilimanjaro gets you to the Safari Capital of the world. Arusha is less than one hour away by road.

You could fly to DAR and take the trip into the quieter and some say more luxurious Selous Reserve and Ruaha NP. Adventure Camps would arrange this easily as a package..

2. Yes.

3. Definitely not in your circumstances. Both for the reasons stated above and the time it may take to arrange a departure once you are there. Time will be wasted which is fine for those who have lots of that such as Backpackers but not for somebody who does not need more problems than they already have.

Safe? You will be at the mercy f "Flycatchers" who make their living by arranging short notice trips. They have no compunction in lying to you to trap you into doing business with them.

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
828 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Safari Help !!

We did a safari and then relaxed in Zanzibar afterwards. I didn't look up companies that would package it all together. I found the safari company I wanted to use, and did my own research on Zanzibar. As it turned out, though, my safari company booked the flights I chose in country, and they also booked the hotel I chose for us in Zanzibar. I didn't know they would do this for me, but she asked about where we were staying, and I told her the places I was thinking of, finally chose, and she booked it. It kept all the contacts in one place, rather than me keeping track of numerous e mails, deposits, etc.

Having her book our in country flights was really a great help. Especially when a flight was cancelled (before we even arrived in Tanzania) and she was able to change it for us much easier than we would have been able to do.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Safari Help !!

Not sure what time you are planning to travel, but if you book when you hit the ground, you may find less than desirable places. And why be gouged for last minute places and prices? The last thing I'd want for a honeymoon is stress, especially after a long flight from the US. Since it sounds like you've already done some research. I'm guessing you might have an idea of how many days in total you'd like to spend. I'd select maybe 6-10 companies at the most (ones that get favorable reviews from posters with more than just a couple of posts), send them your wishes (number of safari days and number of beach days) along with maybe a few strong desires of what is important to you. Send all of them the same information. Then when they get back to you (sometimes it can take a few days), you can compare apples to apples and make a decision.

Some people can just 'fly by the seat of their pants' but I'm not one of them. I like to know what to expect, participate in the planning, and arrive knowing where I'll be staying and what I might be enjoying.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Safari Help !!

No, definitely do NOT book once you get there. That is a terrible idea and whoever told you that is clueless about TZ safaris. Do not do it.

What time of year are you traveling? How many Days? Look at question #4 on the FAQ list on this page and pick out the various TOs to get quotes from.

5. Re: Need Safari Help !!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2014, 13:42
Chicago
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Safari Help !!

Look at the recommended travel operators in the list on the right. Get 6-8 quotes and compare prices and features. The prices can vary greatly. Plan it and have it ready to go-do not wait until you get there, or you get left-overs.

Moshi, Tanzania
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Safari Help !!

Planning safari when you are there sounds good, but the issue is you may found many people who sometimes may even confuse you, If you think you have enough time to spend in Arusha like 2days or so then you can book when you are there, if you think you are in a tight schedule don't think about it. My advice is find TO;s and book in advance this will help you to reduce stress. Its ok to arrange your Zanzibar trip when you are there.

8. Re: Need Safari Help !!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 05:20