We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amboseli NP in Kenya vs Tarangire NP in Tanzania

Laguna Hills...
2 posts
Save Topic
Amboseli NP in Kenya vs Tarangire NP in Tanzania

We are planning a ~2 week safari to Kenya/Tanzania for Aug/Sept and due to wanting to take the trip out to the Mahale NP to see the chimps we will have less time to visit the other parks. Currently on the list is Masai Mara or Serengeti (great migration/river crossings), Ngorongoro Crater and Mahale. In many of the preplanned safari itinaraies I have seen them mention both the Amboseli and the Tarangire NP as key places to see massive elephant groups and the older big bulls. Can someone that has visited both in the Aug/Sept time frame or is an "expert" give suggestions between which would be preferable to visit? Thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Amboseli NP in Kenya vs Tarangire NP in Tanzania

Hi,

At this time of year I would go for Tarangire every time. As the water dries up the elephant herds come in to Tarangire. Amboseli gets increasingly dry and dusty. Plus, on a purely logistical level, keeping your safari in Tanzania will make life infinitely easier if you want to hook up with Mahale. If you are looking at going to Greystoke I would book now as it is getting very full for Aug/Sept.

With kind regards,

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,603 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amboseli NP in Kenya vs Tarangire NP in Tanzania

I agree. In fact I would go further and suggest in such a short time frame you remain exclusively in Tanzania. Getting between countries will eat a day out of your limited time.

So whilst I like Amboseli for its backcloth and wildlife I advise you discount it for this trip. You won't see it all anyway and will be back for more.

A 14 day trip would look to provide you with Serengeti, north and Central, Ngorongoro, Tarangire and four days allowed for Mahale. (I assume you realise you can trek Chimps much easier in Uganda and for less money?)

But to answer your main Question as one who has visited both in September I would vote for Tarangire every time.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Amboseli NP in Kenya vs Tarangire NP in Tanzania

It does cost a fortune to get out to Mahale, so most people make the most of it and visit Katavi whilst out there. Otherwise it's a very expensive airfare just for a few days in Mahale. The flights out there only go twice a week too (mon and Thurs I think), so you have to time things right, and you are limited to 3 or 4 days in Mahale or a 3-4 split between Katavi and Mahale.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amboseli NP in Kenya vs Tarangire NP in Tanzania

I replied to your thread on the Kenyan forum and advised you spend entire safari in Tanzania and explained why.

5. Re: Amboseli NP in Kenya vs Tarangire NP in Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 05:19