We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campsites and recommended areas in Serengeti in August

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Campsites and recommended areas in Serengeti in August

Hi,

We are two adults visiting (among other places) Serengeti and will be there the first week of August. We are planning on camping for at least four nights. Does anyone have any recommendations on particular campsites? I know there's a public campsite at Seronera and maybe one near Lobo, but I've also read that what you hear at night there are people, not wildlife, and we would prefer the latter.

It would be nice to see the wildebeest migration and a river crossing (although that's not the reason for us going to Serengeti). Are there any good spots for that in Serengeti this late? I guess it varies each year depending on the weather when exactly they are in which area, but do you have any advise and suggestions here? If we stay in the Seronera and Lobo area, will we be able to drive to good spots during the days? (We are self-driving.)

Any other areas in Serengeti you would suggest this time of year?

Heidi :)

1. Re: Campsites and recommended areas in Serengeti in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 20:27
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campsites and recommended areas in Serengeti in August

There might a a public camp site at Bologonja spring on the border to kenya, not many on your way to the Mara River, I am not sure if you want to camp yourself withyour own equipment or if you are looking to stay at camps.

2 issues with camping yourself, there is nothing in the Serengeti so if your self sufficient then you even have to take water, you might get some water at the Seronera ranger's office or the workshop or the staff village but if you don't know where this is then you have a water problem.

Lobo has water at the rager post at 50 shillings a liter that you buy from the lodge or you can go down to the spring, just don't get eaten, there are always some lions close to the spring on the loop road.

Camping on your own is not always the cheapest or best option and could be frustrating if you don't have the right equipment, the cheapest accomodation in the north will probably be TWC's EMC Camp or Lobo wildlife lodge or the public campsite at Lobo - great view, just be careful of the baboons, there should be a breading pair of black eagles at your campsite and enough leopard and lion to keep you up at night.

From Lobo public campsite to the Mara River is 2 and a half hours and it is a wonderful day out with the migration and worth the drive.

Good luck and let me know if you need help, only camp if you have cooked on fire before and if you have the equipment, otherwise it is just a lot of work and you miss the mornings and evenings on game drives.

regards

Carel

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Campsites and recommended areas in Serengeti in August

Thank you both of you for your advice and suggestions. :)

We are renting a 4x4 vehicle with a roof-top tent and full camping gear, and we're planning to spend the night in that on public or special campsites for some of the nights we'll be in Serengeti NP. We'll have a gas cylinder for cooking and we have both cooked on fire before too (Norwegians grow up going camping). But we are also fine with simple non-heated food for those days too. We'll just have breakfast in the car on the way. Bread with something on it is the usual breakfast here anyway. And for lunch. Not too demanding when it comes to food when we're on this type of trip. :) And we will bring a LOT of water with us. The point is seeing and experiencing the place you're visiting, right, not cooking fancy meals...

We are aware of the very different dangers with the wildlife in the Serengeti compared to Norwegian woods, and we will not go far away from the vehicle at any time.

It sounds like a campsite near Lobo is the campsite closest to Mara river unless there's one near Bologonja as you mention, Carel. Starting at dawn, a 2.5-hour drive to the Mara River isn't too bad. We won't get the first or last hours of the day there, but we'll get them going there and seeing plenty on the way too. :)

Do you know how to get a list or map of the Serengeti campsites? The Tanapa web page only says the number, not the locations as far as I can see, and they haven't replied to my e-mail (that I sent a couple of weeks ago). Neither has NCAA.

Heidi :)

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Campsites and recommended areas in Serengeti in August

Heidi, maps are not easy but there is a pretty standard wet and dry season map available in Arusha on arrival at any shop or hotel. It is important to understand that the remote parts of the Serengeti people will not drive past you that regularly.

Special camps sites you have to book in advance with TANAPA in Arusha and it is basically the right to camp at the Mara River, most of the camp sites will have camps already set up by the bigger mobile camp operators so basing yourself at Lobo for the north will probably be the best.

Why don't you email me then I help you in detail with where and what and how, I am sure TA will not mind because self-drive safaris has no commercial impact at all carel@discoverafrica.com

We can discuss what distances are realistic to drive

where to camp

where to drive from your camp everyday

your vehicle, costs and if it has a local or foreign registration number

park fees and the card system

water, where to get some

fire and toilets at night

what if something does go wrong where to get help

If your stuck what to do and not to do

if your lost where to drive to (ha ha)

phone me if all else fails (please don't but I will get someone to come get you)

Carel

nyc
Level Contributor
14,845 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Campsites and recommended areas in Serengeti in August

If Carel knows of a public campsite up that way.... glad to acknowledge that things change, though I was understanding that were are none up here.

The EMC camp has changed it's name to Bolognya Under Canvas and likely the least expensive in the area other than the Lobo Lodge.

Both still quite a distance from the Mara River.

Good luck!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
368 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Campsites and recommended areas in Serengeti in August

We were there in August last year , stopped at what I think was the Lobo public camp site, 1 or 2 tents there . Just be aware that the facilities that we stopped to use were absolutely disgusting ,the worst we came across out of our whole trip . Stay at some of the semi permanent tented lodges , much better idea.

7. Re: Campsites and recommended areas in Serengeti in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:24