We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilimanjaro to Amsterdam

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
927 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kilimanjaro to Amsterdam

I'm bound to fly KLM from JRO to AMS with a stopover in Dar es Salaam and I am wondering how long the stopover there will be and if passengers are allowed to leave the plane for the transit to maybe do some shopping or get some food - could anybody tell me who has recently flown this trip?

thanks

Canada
Level Contributor
313 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kilimanjaro to Amsterdam

It was roughly an hour on the ground in Dar es Salaam when we did it in September, just enough to get the passengers disembarking off and the new passengers on (and to change crews).

You are not permitted to leave the airplane during the stopover.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,624 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kilimanjaro to Amsterdam

Same for me. It is just a technical stop fro the crew change and t pick up/drop off DAR pax.

The cleaners come on and it is really just what happens at a turnround except you have the pleasure and entertainment to watch it (and take part).

It passes. Read a book.

(PS. How was Rhino and Ndutu? and Romeo? Looking for that report.)

Kingston Ontario
Level Contributor
48 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kilimanjaro to Amsterdam

Just took this flight on Sunday night. Exactly one hour in Dar...you can stand up but are asked not to leave your seat so the cleaners can clean the appropriate seats and bathrooms! New crew and passengers.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
362 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kilimanjaro to Amsterdam

It's 1 hour unless the person unloading the bags hits the baggage door on the plane with his vehicle, thus damaging it and causing a few hour delay while waiting for repairs. And, no, you still can't get off the plane and you get served dinner about 3 a.m.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kilimanjaro to Amsterdam

thanks for the answers

I"m still here at Ndutu - 29 different cheetahs and 6 different kills so far

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kilimanjaro to Amsterdam

the reason why I asked is: I don't have any more books to read so I was hoping I might be able to buy s'thing at Dar es Salaam. However, from what I googled, there are also (book?!) shops at JRO, correct?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kilimanjaro to Amsterdam

Ahh, we just got back 5 days ago...ndutu was the only place we saw cheetahs.

Yes, flight was like what everyone else was saying...like clock work....OH, but our flight was 2 hours delayed because they had a tire issue...sucks when its midnight!

And yes, there is a book store at JRO...my wife ran out as well and needed another James Patterson book.

Edited: 10 March 2014, 20:30
8. Re: Kilimanjaro to Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 06:17