We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone heard of African Brothers Expeditions?

Toronto
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Has anyone heard of African Brothers Expeditions?

Hello world!

Has anyone heard of African Brothers Expeditions or done a Tanzanian safari or Kili climb with them?

http://www.africanbroexpeditions.com/

I got a very nice itinerary for a 4 day Manyara, Ngo & Serengeti safari from them at a very competitive price. I am so excited but very nervous because I can't find any reviews on the company on TA or anywhere else on the net, just the Testimonials on their website. Does anyone has any insight or feedback?

Thanks a bunch!

Mentioned in this post
Bencia Africa
Safaris, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Wakawaka Adventures
Hiking & Camping Tours, Eco Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Wild Root Safaris and Adventures
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Multi-day Tours, Safaris, Hiking & Camping Tours
Aardvark Safaris
Multi-day Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone heard of African Brothers Expeditions?

Without seeing more specific details of this itinerary or even what time of year you are going, this is going to be horribly rushed. You will spend more time driving around from place to place than seeing anything.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone heard of African Brothers Expeditions?

I agree, find a different company if they think this is a good itinerary. Plus, be ready for a bunch of one post wonders to come on and praise thus company. They will likely be fake.

California
Level Contributor
483 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone heard of African Brothers Expeditions?

Just my 2 cents but I would be hesitant to make a long trip to Africa and then risk having a less than optimal experience by using a safari company I could not verify or find additional information on. If you are flying from Toronto to Tanzania... I would not gamble on the end product... just as I imagine you would not book a flight there on an airline nobody has ever heard of or could not find feedback on.

My 2 cents...

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Level Contributor
195 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone heard of African Brothers Expeditions?

With whoever you choose ask them for a copy of their TALA B licence to operate safari's. Check the name of the company matches that of the TALA B provided. If neither choose another operator. Please do report back your findings to assist other members of this forum

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone heard of African Brothers Expeditions?

The website indicates that it is under construction, and has a couple of telephone number to call to contact them. They have an area code which indicates that they are in the New Jersey USA area. They cannot have a good price, they will subcontract their safari out to a local safari operator. Why don't you go straight to the source and get a good Tanzania safari operator. Look on the right side of this web page and you will see Top Questions about Tanzania, the 4th question down will be a link to a post with many local safari operators on it, which are all known to be good companies by those posting.

Mentioned in this post
Usa River
Usa River
Arusha, Tanzania
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone heard of African Brothers Expeditions?

Apparently from the time Karl posted his response to today their website is now up and functional. All TOs start out new, even the big name ones. My biggest concern here is the itinerary. I would not want to spend only fours days visiting those three parks unless you are doing a lot of flying. The drives between parks are long and rough.

The company has both local (TZ) and foreign (NJ, USA) phone numbers as contacts. Many TOs have a US representative who does marketing in the US but have local operators on the ground managing the day to day operations, itineraries and know the parks, routes etc. Just because they have a foreign number in their contacts does not mean they are not a local (TZ) company. Many of the TOs recommended here have representatives in the US but are based in TZ. And I can say this from personal experience.

I suggest you ask for references from them, with phone numbers and email addresses so you can contact them. And also send your itinerary to several TOs, You can find a list of them on the right under question #4.

Mentioned in this post
Usa River
Usa River
Arusha, Tanzania
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone heard of African Brothers Expeditions?

This was on the website, obviously after your post Kathy since I am posting after yours, and I wouldn't say that many have US reps, there are a few who do out of the 200+ safari operators in Arusha/Tz. There are a few who also have some European reps, but it is not a common thing, and typically it is an American or European company which has the real ownership and they do a joint venture with a Tanzanian in order to reduce the stiff capital requirements for a safari company license. There are exceptions to that such as Thomsons who are an American company which is also based in Tanzania and Boston.

And I would still tell the OP to go to the source and get a Tanzania local company.

This is what was brought up when clicking on the link above, and it says contact our office and gave a New Jersey telephone number, which would indicate that this is a company based in the US, perhaps they have a Tanzanian working for them in Arusha:

SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE THE SITE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION.

Please contact our Office at 732-286-6556 or Terri 732-814-9351

Thank You

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Toronto
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone heard of African Brothers Expeditions?

hi everyone, this is all amazing and great advice. thank you so much

something super sketchy is going on with their website, my husband is seeing that the site is under construction, same as Karl_Gingrich, but i am able to see the site sitting right beside my husband on my laptop

I'd like to give a bit of an update. i've been chatting over emails with Moses Kashumba from the company who is "Director/tour operator" communicating to me in very broken english. He is very friendly, answering all my questions, offering lots of options and even offered me to book a flight to Zanzibar after the safari on my behalf. I asked him to draw up a final quote for me, listing all the details, that i can sign and pay a deposit against. I asked him if they accept American Express. He said ".American Express card has to much headache in Tanzania, so we prefer or advise our customer to deposit cash to the bank. once you are ready to make deposit let me know so I can send you our bank account detail." Is THAT normal?

we are looking at doing a safari with Safari365 now, they don't want to match the same itinerary as it is too much driving and not enough seeing, same as you guys are advising.

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone heard of African Brothers Expeditions?

If you pay by bank transfer you are essentially paying them cash and they could simply disappear with it. There is a slight risk with a well known operator doing that, but with a new or barely existing one, or with one who makes you uneasy why would you take the risk. Find one of the many well known and recommended ones and have some peace of mind

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone heard of African Brothers Expeditions?

That is the usual way of paying for the deposit, by a bank transfer. However, as stated above, you can reduce the risk by using someone who is well known as a reliable and trustworthy safari operator. Those mentioned many times on here are reliable.