We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day suggested itinerary - Combine Safari with

Abu Dhabi, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
7 day suggested itinerary - Combine Safari with

Hi,

I've tried to search for this but to no avail...

I'm interested in visiting Tanzania but due to lack of annual leave holidays I can only commit to 7 days max. My question is, do many people combine safari with Kilamanjiro? I.e. is it possible to do a safari for say 3 or 4 days and then do a little bit of trekking up Kilamajiro for the remaining time? (obviously wont get to far but just to experience it?). Also would it be best to go in Sept or Dec?

Any help much appreciated.

1. Re: 7 day suggested itinerary - Combine Safari with

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 15:35
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,858 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day suggested itinerary - Combine Safari with

It is a rush to do both, and you would be 'settling' for a compromise on either.

Climbing Kili takes a lot of staff, so not sure how easy it is to go for just a day or two and then have someone take you down again, but I recall some posters doing a shorter version.

If the migration is of interest to you, in September they will be in the northern part of Serengeti. In December, they will be in the south - thus more accessible from Arusha.

Wanting to do a blend means that it will most likely have to be organized as a private safari. Anyone offering you a group that meets your request is going to be a sketchy group that will be picking up people from all over even if it means driving back and forth to Arusha to do so. This can also indicate lack of safety and sufficient gear to do any sort of Kili climb.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day suggested itinerary - Combine Safari with

The short answer is yes, it's most certainly possible to combine say a 3-4 day safari with a 2-3 day Kili trek. The way to do it is to get a tailor-made tour, just for you. It'll be more expensive than doing an off-the-peg group trip, but it'll enable you to make the most of your time away and fit most things in. With that amount of time I'd suggest you combine a Serengeti fly-in safari with your Kili trek, so you get to the best game viewing without too many days on the road.

From my personal experience I think September is nicest (can often be drier, and certainly less expensive than the Xmas period, though more so than early December). In particular, being on Kili when it's drier is nicer as you are exposed to the elements all day long. The only advantage of (late) December is seeing the migration herds come back into the Southern Serengeti, but many people are of the opinion that once you've seen one wildebeest, you've seen 'em all, and the trade-off for having emptier parks, lower rates, and drier weather in September is worth it. Early Dec could be cheaper, but less chance of migration herds, and more chance of rain.

Have fun!

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

Arusha T
Level Contributor
9 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day suggested itinerary - Combine Safari with

hi there

working with many of the mountain tour operators and seeing the nasty evacs off mt kili i wouldnt suggest you consider any less than the 7 day routes for acclimatisation. You do not rush mt climbs and you certainly dont go for the cheap option. whoever you use ask if their guides hold wilderness first aid certificates and who from -you want to be in good hands. if you are interested to hike you could do mt meru in 4 days and 3 days to do ngorongoro, lake manyara and or tarangire.

5. Re: 7 day suggested itinerary - Combine Safari with

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 05:16