We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good article on responsible gift giving while on Safari

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Good article on responsible gift giving while on Safari

Any thoughts?

…about.com/od/…travelgiving.htm

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good article on responsible gift giving while on Safari

Good sensible straight forward stuff. worth reading.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good article on responsible gift giving while on Safari

From what I read in it, it was right on.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good article on responsible gift giving while on Safari

Ok well as no one else has answered I will give you my thoughts.

I agree with the points raised in the article and I certainly think it is a useful read for anyone visiting East Africa for the first time.

I think that good research is vital when thinking about donating anything whilst on your trip. Always make sure that you check what is actually needed with whichever organisation you are going to support. It is pointless turning with pencils if beans and rice is what is needed. And if you can, always buy locally to support the local economy.

For the last few years we have supported a small social enterprise in Moshi called ACTT (Affordable Computers and Technology for Tanzania). They work with a partner based in Belgium, to set up affordable computer labs in schools using refurbished computers donated by companies in Europe. They also provide computer training for vulnerable youths. We have spent quite a bit of time with ACTT over the last few years and can vouch for them and their projects. They ensure the sustainability of every project. Also by supporting a school with computers through ACTT you are guaranteed that every penny or cent donated will be used to fund the school project, there are no middle men or administration cost.

In today's technological world we all know how important access to computers and computer training is. We cannot provide a solution to all the problems in Africa but feel that by supporting a school with computers through ACTT we are providing a whole community with an opportunity to improve their lives.

If anyone would like more information about the work of ACTT please visit their website at

www.actt.co.tz

Please contact me if you would like to help a school through ACTT or would like anymore information about them. This sort of project with ACTT can easily be fitted into any holiday or safari itinerary. It can involve a few hours or a few days, whichever suits you. Either way it will be an experience neither you nor the school you support will ever forget.

For anyone who is interested here is a link to my blog for the day we spent recently at JK Nyerere School in Moshi, installing a computer lab with ACTT

…travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

Edit Mfuwe and Karl beat me to it while I was typing!!

Mercer Island...
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good article on responsible gift giving while on Safari

Thanks for sharing...

Since we are fundraising for a computer lab at a secondary school with ACTT ( thanks to Shep) I will ask the head mistress at the school if there is anything they need in terms of school supplies before we leave. I didn't really think of that. I was going to bring some soccer balls through Shep's suggestion.

5. Re: Good article on responsible gift giving while on Safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 05:17