We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Airlines - Has anyone tried upgrading?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Turkish Airlines - Has anyone tried upgrading?

Was finally able to get seats last night on our flight in July. A very long wait on hold.

While waiting, I played around a bit on the Turkish Air website. They have an economy comfort class that certainly looks more, well, comfortable.

I read a few things about upgrading to those seats that seemed to suggest it wasn't that expensive. We are using Star Alliance reward travel, but wondered if anyone had any experience.

Thanks

Bill

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,039 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Turkish Airlines - Has anyone tried upgrading?

Mfuwe, glad your experience was better. Maybe it has to do with amount of distance away from IST ;-) So I need to keep my wits about me in the airport? Perhaps another reason for my carry on only theory.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,785 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Turkish Airlines - Has anyone tried upgrading?

IST. Outbound was no problem. We had a 25 hour layover but even then it was chaotic with various queues.

Inbound we had a three hour connection and had there not been delayed departures due snow in England we would have missed them.

Off the plane with Boarding Cards ready for next one. We Q's for Transit only to be directed back to another Q which, when we finally got to the head, simply told us where to Q for transit. Then Q again at transit. Then Immigration "Hello we are not stopping, we are in "transit"" but you had to Q to tell them that!

Then there was "shoes off and Security" to Q for. Then and only then did we get to departure lounge and find the plane delayed anyway.

Good luck with carrying your Carry On through that lot.

Edited: 08 April 2014, 23:38
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
864 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Turkish Airlines - Has anyone tried upgrading?

Airmike you did good. I had to use 150K economy with Delta just from Honolulu to Amsterdam in Aug. Told them I would never fly Delta again.

Long distance economy flying is not for any size person.

Mercer Island...
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Turkish Airlines - Has anyone tried upgrading?

Aloha, that's one of the reasons we ended up booking Tanzania quickly b/f the merger with US Air and the mileage award chart is changing soon... so it will take a lot more miles to go to Africa from United States.

QM : I need to keep my wits about me in the airport? Yes for sure, I used to be a very lax traveler, but 2 years ago we were in Istanbul, my parents took a flight a day later then the rest of us ( used miles again so can't be too picky) my mom was standing in the check in lane at the counter, slightly behind my dad, and had a tote bag on top of her rolling suitcase behind her, she turned around and the tote bag was gone ( along with a ton of her stuff... ) it was a mess and I have to say the ppl at the Istanbul airport were not very helpful.

Edited: 09 April 2014, 01:17
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,039 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Turkish Airlines - Has anyone tried upgrading?

« Good luck with carrying your Carry On through that lot» Carry on is a convertable backpack. I'll google clues on how to handle the queues.

16. Re: Turkish Airlines - Has anyone tried upgrading?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 05:17