We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bird Identification

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
362 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Bird Identification

Either I took bad notes or my guide didn't know the names of all the birds or a combination of both. I'm looking at my notes and my pictures and thinking that I don't know the names of all the birds I took such nice photos of. What's a good resource to help me? I know many of you are birders, so you probably have great resources. Perhaps there's an online site or perhaps I post photos of the unknown birds and you help identify them. Thoughts?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,882 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bird Identification

This is my go to site, if you don't have a book to help you. There are some other birding data sites, but this one seems to be fairly straightforward and the pictures are usually good reference.

http://tanzaniabirds.net/alphabetical1.htm

but do you know the basics of birding, at least to tell what is a Wren, or a Barbet, or anything?

You don't want to have to go out and buy a book.

If you get your photos loaded onto a photo site, maybe make a separate album for birds. Mfuwe, is, of course an excellent birder and helpful with providing ID. I have been known to play 'what's that bird' and ID birds for others; however, my time is somewhat more limited that it was for that little game. It helps me learn my Tanz birding ID book as well as provide banter between the birders here.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
362 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bird Identification

QM, thanks for the website. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a birder. I like them and notice them but don't really know the basics to tell the differences. Maybe mfuwe and some of the other birders will be willing to help me identify them once I put the bird photos on-line.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bird Identification

If you think you might return to East Africa in the future and would like to be able to ID some birds yourself it might be worth buying a copy of "Birds of East Africa" by Terry Stevenson and John Fanshawe. I took it on our last 2 safaris and used it a lot together with our guide. I now use it to record when and where I see a new sighting. Obviously you could use it now to help ID some of your photos.

However I have to say I do recommend using Mfuwe's expertise when you get stuck. I have had to use this resource on many occasions. Poor man probably dreads it every time I come back from safari with a number of amateur bird photos that I then ask him to identify!! Thanks again for helping all of us Mfuwe.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,619 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bird Identification

Most welcome.

Adventurer. How many are involved? If just a few you can PM me wit a link.

If many do you have a Gallery like Shutterfly or Photobucket that I could access and see them?

but a book is much more fun in the end and I even got Shep and QM started.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bird Identification

I use "Birds of East Africa" and tanzaniabirds.net to sort most out. Then, for the recalcitrants I turn to the experts, who, in my estimation, include mfuwe.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,882 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bird Identification

When I first went to Tanz, I wasn't a birder either. I had taken a used bird book, but as my guides didn't have any resource books, I left it behind. That left me with a ticked pre printed list and photos. I used the TanzBirds website with my list and from there ID'd the photos. In looking back, they are not 100% correct, but you have your friendly TA birding buddies to set you straight.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,619 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bird Identification

steveb108 is too modest. I recall bowing to his knowledge more than once!

8. Re: Bird Identification

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 05:16