We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report March/April - Part 1

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
373 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report March/April - Part 1

I took this trip March 22-April 6, 2014, with my 10 and 12 year old nieces. It was their first time out of the country except for a stay at a resort in Mexico when they were very young. The girls were resilient and cheerful. In two weeks, we had no complaints, no homesickness, no whining, no illness (except a minor bout with diarrhea), and only 1 disagreement between them. The trip was all that I had hoped for and more. The girls loved the Tanzanians and continually remarked on how nice they were.

Our itinerary was – African Tulip Arusha, 2 nights; Tarangire Safari Lodge, 2 nights; Kisima Ngeda (Lake Eyasi area), 2 nights; Ndutu Safari Lodge, 2 nights; Serengeti Wilderness Camp, 2 nights; Rhino Lodge (the Crater), 1 night; Tembo Tamu, Moshi, 1 night; Amsterdam, 1 night. Written reviews of all the lodges are in the lodge listings.

Instead of giving a description of each day, I’m going to share thoughts on general themes from the trip. I’ll break it into parts so it’s not too much all at once.

ANIMAL SIGHTINGS

Our most surprising sighting was a cheetah in a tree, which our guide says he sees maybe once a year. Other great sightings were 8 rhinos in the Crater, including a mother and her 1-2 year old calf, and 7 lions in a tree. First there were 5, then #6 climbed up, then #7. When there were 5, it looked like there were only 4 because 1 was hidden behind a branch. The only way we could tell she was there was by her tail hanging down. We saw many animal young and a number of them nursing their mothers. Of course, we saw a plethora of birds.

We drove 150 kms round trip from Ndutu Safari Lodge to find the wildebeest migration. It was well worth it to be surrounded by a million wildebeest, everywhere the eye could see. They were fairly spread out, not grouped together like we saw them in the Crater.

Some comparisons to my last safari in June 2012 – I saw fewer leopards, many more cheetahs that were quite active (the only one I saw last time was sleeping on a rock), mating lions, lions and cheetahs hunting (but unsuccessfully). We saw a lion eating a recent kill and saw lots of carcasses, some quite fresh.

Animals I saw on this trip that I had never seen before were leopard tortoise, bat eared fox, marsh mongoose, black and white colobus monkeys, and a black mongoose.

I loved Ndutu and being able to drive off-road. Serengeti, which had been a highlight on the last trip, felt somewhat boring in comparison to Ndutu this time.

CAMERA/PHOTOS

I bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ 200 before we went, and I loved this camera! It goes from 25-600 mm and took excellent shots. Previously, I took a DSLR with a 100-300 lens attached and an SLR with a regular lens on it and I switched between the two cameras so I wouldn’t have to switch lens. That worked, but this was so much better.

Photos are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/7454106@N06/sets/72157643966359435/. I may put up more later, but these are 200 culled from over 5,000. They are not edited.

WEATHER

Temperatures were excellent. The days started cool but temperate. Even when it got hot later in the day, it was bearable. We had some rain some days, no longer than one hour at a time. In the Crater, the rain was so heavy for a short period that it was difficult to see anything. There were places of mud and we never got stuck. We didn’t go to the Gong Rock in Seronera due to the mud but otherwise, it didn’t hold us back.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report March/April - Part 1

Great reports, informative. I will be traveling with 3 teenagers later this year, so I was glad to see the girls didn't get bored during the two weeks. I tried the photo link but even copying and pasting I had not luck.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report March/April - Part 1

Good start looking for more.

I had the same problem with the photos and kept getting Yahoo/EBay.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
373 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report March/April - Part 1

See if this takes you there with it all on one line. It works for me. Let me know if it still doesn't work for you.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7454106@N06/sets/72157643966359435/

Mercer Island...
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report March/April - Part 1

It still comes out as a private page, I didn't have any problems when you posted the school computer lab photos.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report March/April - Part 1

Hi, Adventurer! Welcome back! Love the report -- keep it coming.

Two observations -- I, too, found the Serengeti a little boring by comparison with Ndutu this year. For some reason, this year we had the fewest overall sightings in Serengeti of any of our trips. It was a little strange, I thought.

Second, we got to the Ngong Rocks, but only just. There was already considerable mud, and we rather slipped and slid our way to the kopje. It was a bit harrowing. I'm not surprised you gave it a miss.

Haven't tried the photos yet. Will get back to you when I do! Glad the kids had a good time, though. You're a very nice aunty.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
592 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report March/April - Part 1

Thank you for sharing your reports, I enjoyed reading. I also bought a Panasonic FZ 200, I'm glad to hear it worked well. I was torn between that camera and one with more zoom when I was buying. I wasn't able to see your photos the link didn't work for me either, but I'd really like to if possible.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
373 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report March/April - Part 1

All right, try this link - https://www.flickr.com/photos/7454106@N06/sets/. Then check out Tanzania Donor Photos. Those are the ones for this trip. There's also a set called Tanzania Fundraising Results, which shows the medical dispensary where we donated supplies and the school where we donated a computer lab. The privacy settings are all set now to Public and the link should take you to the right page.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report March/April - Part 1

Hi there, Yes I also like the weather in April for a safari. The rain keeps everything green and there is very little dust. Temperatures are warm and comfortable.

I am thinking of changing my camera and have a small Lumix that I like so I will look at the one you used.

Thanks for reporting back.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report March/April - Part 1

Still no luck with the pictures. I think the problem is that you can see them as you are already signed in with Yahoo but us mortals are not.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
368 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report March/April - Part 1

Great report, I was able to see your photos too !

Thanks for sharing.