We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow fever vaccination

SanAntonio
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Yellow fever vaccination

We are going to Tanzania and Kenya and our physician does not want to give us the vaccination due to a previous reaction to the vaccination which resulted in hospitalization. We were given a Medical Waiver for yellow fever. Will we have problems?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow fever vaccination

<does not want to give us the vaccination due to a previous reaction to the vaccination >

What? All of you were hospitalised?

There is an Exemption section on the YF Certificate where contraindications can be noted. Use this for those affected. All others get the vaccination.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow fever vaccination

This is all according to the immigration medical officer on duty when you arrive. If I were to guess I would say that if you have a proper medical reason explained by your physician on their letterhead stationary or on the official form then you will most probably not have a problem.

If you had a reaction to the vaccination then you have the vaccination, thus, should have the international certificate for this vaccination. The vaccination is good for 10 years.

SanAntonio
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow fever vaccination

Only my husband was hospitalized. Since I am 70 years of age the vaccination is counter indicated. Did not have any problem on our recent trip through India with any of the many immunizations.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,266 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellow fever vaccination

As mentioned earlier it lasts 10 years and I would get a letter from your doctor and you should not have any problems.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellow fever vaccination

Missed that point. to get a reaction you must have had the Vaccination. If less than 10 years ago that will be valid.

As for being over 70, again if having had the vaccination earlier, even if expired, you are safe to get a booster. Only first timers over 70 are at risk.

I sense we are not being told everything here.

6. Re: Yellow fever vaccination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 05:16