We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To go to Tanzania or Not....Wisdom Please..first time safari

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
To go to Tanzania or Not....Wisdom Please..first time safari

I know no one can definitively answer this but we could use some guidance. We were suposed to go to Kenya this June but due to a death in the family had to cancel and rescheduled for January, 2015 which was quite a bit more money (the difference would have paid for our Tanzania trip in June). We could still go, just trying to decide after being on a safari for 13 days in Kenya, does it make sense, or will we be "safaried" out? Is Tanzania a "not to be missed" opportunity as we probably won't return anytime soon. If we decide to extend our Kenya trip to Tanzania, is there a central location or it it advisable to move to a different location each day? According to my research there isn't a bad time to go to Africa, but it seems very busy in January, so our assumption is that it is a better time for animal viewing and weather-wise.

Thanks for any input.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,125 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: To go to Tanzania or Not....Wisdom Please..first time safari

so let me get it clear you are now booked to go to Kenya in Jan. 2015 for 13 days and you want to know if you should also go to Tanzania after Kenya?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,907 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To go to Tanzania or Not....Wisdom Please..first time safari

I agree your dilemma isnt clear.

But Tanzania is huge. Even the parks are enormous, so you need to plan carefully to get the most out of a trip.

You need to be clear how much time and money you have for Tz, and then design the trip from there. We can help once these parameters are known. Otherwise you might just get vague observations.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,618 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To go to Tanzania or Not....Wisdom Please..first time safari

Well I would personally put Tanzania above Kenya in terms of wildlife viewing and especially in January when 2million Wildebeeste are easily visible on the short grass calving grounds. I have visited both countries and by far prefer Tanzania for pure Safari experience.

Would I add some Tanzania days to a 13 day trip to Kenya? No! I would take the whole trip in Tanzania.

But, if already committed to Kenya, then I would most likely not bother to go to the trouble of crossing a border just to tick off another country, good though it is. I would plan to return and see the wonders of Tanzania another time.

4. Re: To go to Tanzania or Not....Wisdom Please..first time safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 15:22
new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To go to Tanzania or Not....Wisdom Please..first time safari

Sorry I was not clear - we are committed to the Kenya safari, previously schedule for June, 2014. We now are going on the Kenya portion of the safari January, 2015 and now there is a significant increase in the cost of the Kenya safari. Previously, when we were taking the June safari, we were also taking a Tanzania extension. Now because of the increased cost of the Kenya safari, we are wondering if we should spend even more money and go to Tanzania. I cannot change the Kenya tour as we are joining an established tour. Sorry for the confusion.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,618 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To go to Tanzania or Not....Wisdom Please..first time safari

Thanks for the clarification, panter.

In that case Plan B is in my final paragraph in post #3 above..

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To go to Tanzania or Not....Wisdom Please..first time safari

Unfortunately, we will probably never have the opportunity to return but that's what I thought

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To go to Tanzania or Not....Wisdom Please..first time safari

mfuwe - thanks for the help. I try to answer as many questions as I can on TA because you experts are always so wonderful to me when I have a question.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
373 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To go to Tanzania or Not....Wisdom Please..first time safari

If you will never have the opportunity to return, then I would take advantage of being there. Go to the short grass area in Tanzania and see the wildebeest migration. You won't see that in Kenya at that time of year. Because you would have already seen a lot in Kenya, you wouldn't necessarily have to do more in Tanzania, but, of course, you could add the Crater, which is also unique to Tanzania but is not one of my favorite places.

You could compare it to going to Europe. If you've been in Europe for 13 days and really want to see the Eiffel Tower, would you be the equivalent of "safaried out" from seeing all the cathedrals and museums of Europe, or would it be worth it to go to Paris just to see that one thing that you can't see anywhere else? Everyone will have a different answer to that question, depending on their interests, time, and money.

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To go to Tanzania or Not....Wisdom Please..first time safari

Definitely worth it