We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night Game Drive/Canoeing/Walk Safaris

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
525 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Night Game Drive/Canoeing/Walk Safaris

Heya,

So in late January, three of us are going on a Safari for a little over than 2 weeks.

Me = 30

Brother = 25

Mother = 57

Now I posted something similiar to this post a while back but at the time I didn't know as much and I asked the wrong questions. So instead of bumping an old topic and posting my questions at the end of the tread - I figured it would work better if I posted a new topic (so sorry about this).

I read Fodor's Guide + currently reading Bradt - I didn't find much info so now I'm posting hoping for feedback.

Basically - besides game drives, I do want to ad a night game drive, canoeing and POSSIBLY some walking.

Questions

1- Night Game Drive - Tarangire vs Lake Manyara

I couldn't find much info on these in the books. Lake Manyara night drive seems newer and Tarangire is recommending during the wet months (not the month I'm going at - January). Also only specific lodges/companies run these... that's about all I found out. Any advice and/or thoughts on which is better?

2- Canoeing - Lake Babati vs Arusha National Park vs Lake Manyara

I would like to do two "canoeing safaris" - I like Lake Babati and Arusha National Park for these. But the books keep saying to not "dismiss Lake Manyara" - thoughts?

3- "Walking Safaris"

Not referring to ones that consume a full day/days - and no hike since I assume I'd be very tired. Just looking for maybe a two hour walk or something to see other things/stretch legs. I'm a little iffy on these. Pretty much everywhere seems to provide these... but frankly I'm not sold the descriptions I'm reading. Is it worth it to add one or two? Also where/which would you recommend?

I hope these questions aren't repetitive

Thanks

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
525 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Night Game Drive/Canoeing/Walk Safaris

Funny this topic should be bumped... about to send the e-mails about again. However - my only concern is I don't know much about the lodges/tempted camps. So my plan is pretty much to describe to them what I want then compare - mid-range... opt for both lodges/tempted camps in areas CLOSE to the game drive and if possible more exclusive (as in less tents/rooms).

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Night Game Drive/Canoeing/Walk Safaris

BazAlk

I'm just starting my research but was given this site to research lodges and camps by another trip advisor contributor:

http://www.africatravelresource.com/

It has been very helpful in selecting the camps we wanted to stay at.

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Night Game Drive/Canoeing/Walk Safaris

Was given this site by BazAlk and checked it out : http://tanzaniaculturaltourism.go.tz/

The TO we selected is not on the list of licensed TO but was recommended on TA. Now I''m not sure whether to go with them or not

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,879 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Night Game Drive/Canoeing/Walk Safaris

Panter, not sure how this is related to the OP's thread, but ask for a copy of their license and ensure it is made out to the company in question. If they are one of the TOs recommended on the right of this screen, then chances are they are licensed to operate, but may not be a member of an organization.

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Night Game Drive/Canoeing/Walk Safaris

Thanks think I was looking at two threads and posted to the wrong one. Sorry

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Night Game Drive/Canoeing/Walk Safaris

Are night game drives better to be booked directly through the lodge yourself or via your tour operator? We were thinking of going on a night game drive when we're staying at Tarangire Safari Lodge

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,703 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Night Game Drive/Canoeing/Walk Safaris

There could be 60+ guests staying at TSL, you wouldn't know how many want to go on a night game drive....nor do I know how many vehicles they will have available.....so I would book with your TO....asap.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Night Game Drive/Canoeing/Walk Safaris

It depends on the lodging and company. Some places do it directly through the lodging or when you arrive, but some are by pre-reservation only. I do not know the policy at TSL. You should check with your TO directly first, and possibly check the lodging website if available.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Night Game Drive/Canoeing/Walk Safaris

I just booked a bush walk at TSL and I won't be there until July 29th. I just emailed them directly and gave them my name and the name of the TO who did the booking for us. The bush walks are done at 6:30am.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Night Game Drive/Canoeing/Walk Safaris

I think you can go either way. We did the night game drive at TSL and my TO said she could book it for us. I wasn't completely sure I wanted to go on it, so I decided to wait and book it once there. We booked it on our first night that we arrived and it was fine.

I think if you know for sure that you want to go, and you are going at a busier time of the year I would get your TO to book it for you.