We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon safari- two options, which is better?

uk
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon safari- two options, which is better?

Having done lots of research and read many posts, I have decided on Sunny Safaris. I have got two options which are virtually the same price (flights will be the main difference) and wondering which to choose. We want maximum game viewing so wondered which anyone would advise.

Option 1 $1100

Day 1 Depart Arusha 8,45am to Tarangire for gamedrive, late afternoon depart to Mto wa mbu, stay Tarosero

Day 2 Depart to Serengeti via oldupai gorge, gamedrives on way, stay Seronera

Day 3 Full day in Serengeti, stay Seronera

Day 4 Serengeti drive in morning, depart to Ngoro, stay Simba

Day 5 Crater gamedrive, lunch, depart to Arusha

Option 2 $1115

Day 1 Same as above

Day 2 Depart to Ngoro, gamedrive, stay Simba

Day 3 Depart to Serengeti, afternoon gamedrive, stay Seronera

Day 4 Full day Serengeti, stay Seronera

Day 5 Game drive morning, flight to Zanz 11am

So both options are similar price but the flight to Zanzibar in option one from Arusha would be $250 dollars approx vs $450 from Seronera in option 2. Money is important but also the amount of game viewing.

Many thanks in advance for your advice

Mentioned in this post
Seronera
Seronera
1,115 Reviews
Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Bencia Africa
Safaris, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Wakawaka Adventures
Hiking & Camping Tours, Eco Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Wild Root Safaris and Adventures
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Multi-day Tours, Safaris, Hiking & Camping Tours
Aardvark Safaris
Multi-day Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon safari- two options, which is better?

I like #1 better than #2... but I don't like either one very much. You are just trying to cover too much territory... lots of driving between parks and not enough time IN parks. Both involve a first day of hours of driving for just a taste of Tarangire...

Two key questions...

1 When are you going? (Game viewing may vary depending on the dates/season.)

2) How much time total do you have? (Many folks equate honeymoon with beach...and they plan a lot of time in Zanzibar... but Zanzibar is an OK beach location, not a great beach location... and Tanzania is amazing game viewing - like "experience-of-a-lifetime" amazing...)

So if there is any way you can shift time from beach to safari, I'd do it. (We've spent about 8 weeks in East Africa, two trips - and Zanzibar never made it onto the itinerary...)

If 5 days is your limit, skip Tarangire. It's a honeymoon... cut down on the driving hours... go to Ngorongoro the first day, then go into Serengeti... then fly to Zanzibar...

If you can make it 6 days, option 1 with an extra day in Tarangire would be pretty darn good.

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ngorongoro Conservation...
Arusha Region, Tanzania
uk
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon safari- two options, which is better?

We are going september 2015. It will be a two week trip including all the flights. But my partner wants a week relaxing hence the zanzibar part. I have only persuaded him to go to africa based on one weeks activity and one week relaxing. We are on a tight budget so unsure if we could make it 6 days.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon safari- two options, which is better?

I will never quite understand why anyone would travel all the way to Africa mostly to go to the beach. There are far better beaches closer to the U.K. There are, however, no other places in the world with the potential for wildlife viewing than Africa. The poster doesn't say how many days they plan to spend on Zanzibar, but we've just come back from our third Tanzanian safari and still haven't been to Zanzibar.

If the Serengeti isn't romantic, I just don't know what is.

I agree with idiotsabroad -- the more days on safari, the better. And the fewer days, the fewer locations. I'd tend to opt for Tarangire over the Crater, if only two locations are sensible (and in 5 days, that should be the maximum) -- but the Crater being a World Heritage Site and all, I can understand why it sort of "should be" included. My heart, however, remains with Tarangire & the Serengeti.

I'm holding to my principle that one week is the minimum for an adequate northern circuit safari.

Perhaps Sadaani would be a better option for a honeymoon than trying to combine, in only a few days, a safari with beach time. It's on the coast, with luxury tents right on the beach -- and access to safari, canoe trips, river safari, and even a hop over to Zanzibar.

Try googling "Tent With a View" at Sadaani.

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,933 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon safari- two options, which is better?

I agree. If the partner/fiancé wants leisure on a beach go to Greece or Majorca.

This is hardly a recipe for marital bliss (although compromise is good ).

Both of you are in danger of not enjoying the other half and blaming "the other half"! when it goes wrong.

As others the trip is too rushed. And given you are going in September then Tarangire is a MUST!

So why not take from the beach time and add it to Safari time taken at a more leisurely pace?

Money is tight so Saadani is out I would suggest although it does have nice beaches and wildlife on hand.

So it is #2b for me Keep in Tarangire and stay an extra night there. Then Simba (you do realise this is basic camping?? On honeymoon?) Again timing is not ideal. Crater drives are best done early before it gets hot.

You are going to arrive early afternoon. Why not game drive Tarangire morning of Day 2, Arrive samba and then the Crater next morning as you leave for Serenera on Day 3?

Then Serengeti 4 5 6 when you fly to ZNZ for $200 more. Believe me you are getting better value for money and better Wildlife time.

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge
Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge
662 Reviews
Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania
uk
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon safari- two options, which is better?

Our budget including all flights is £2000 each therefore we cannot afford to be doing mostly safari. We will both love each aspect we just want to have some activity vs relaxation. But definately not in europe which we can afford to do later in life. I guess it comes down to choosing which two parks to visit

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon safari- two options, which is better?

Okay, Fiona, it's painful, but this is what I would recommend.

Arusha to Tarangire - 3 nights

Tarangire to Crater - 2 nights

Skip the Serengeti. You are going to fall in love with wildlife viewing and will find a way, later in life, to do the Serengeti as she deserves. Meanwhile, you'll maximize your viewing time on this quick safari. Mfuwe is right -- you have to include Tarangire in September. And the Serengeti requires a major commitment in driving time. You're going have the chance of seeing pretty much all the manor mammal species you'd see in the Serengeti in either Tarangire or the Crater. In only 5 days, these two parks should give you the best possible experience.

Sacrilege, I know, but skip the Serengeti.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,933 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon safari- two options, which is better?

I agree. If that is all the cloth you have you must cut it to fit.

SandyLL's idea is good. the Serengeti can wait. One 'benefit' of plan B is you now don't need that $450 flight. You can drive back to Arusha from the Crater in 4 hours and catch the 14.30 to Zanzibar

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,581 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon safari- two options, which is better?

Option 2 is far better because of the flight on the last day. Given the time you have and you own interests and cost this is the better trip.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon safari- two options, which is better?

If you decide to stick closer to Arusha and not make it all the way to the Serengeti, I might suggest:

Day 1-travel to Tarangire-gamedrive-stay Tarosero

Day 2-all day gamedrives in Tarangire-stay Tarosero

Day 3-dive to Lake Manyara-gamedrives-stay in Karatu or Mto wa Mbu area

Day 4-cultural stops in Mto wa Mbu/Karatu-drive to Ngorongoro Crater-stay Simba

Day 5-morning gamedrive in crater-drive to Arusha for flight to Zanzibar

Mentioned in this post
Lake Manyara
Lake Manyara
189 Reviews
Lake Manyara National Park, Tanzania
Ngorongoro Crater
Ngorongoro Crater
3,416 Reviews
Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Karatu
Karatu
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
uk
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon safari- two options, which is better?

Thanks for all your advice. I liked the idea of the hot air balloon in the serengeti but is this the only place we would get to do this? Also do either tarangire or the crater do night safaris and which do you think would be better?