We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After Tanzania - Gorilla Trek or Not?

Appleton, WI
Level Contributor
187 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
After Tanzania - Gorilla Trek or Not?

After 11 days on N Circuit in Tanzania coming from US we are thinking of heading to either Uganda or Rwanda for a quick 3-4 day Gorilla Trek vs our current booking for beach time in Zanzibar. I know the price pt is $500 more for Rwanda for permits for us as a couple and that it is quicker to the viewing area vs Uganda already. Seems I can change our plans easily enough to make it work but a few questions for the crew in this forum.

If you have done it which outfitter did you use?

We won't get Yellow Fever jabs on way in because our flights through Istanbul to TZ don't require. However will we need it if we go to either country and come back to Dar for our flight home? This is a big factor for us to go or not on the Trek.

Your advice and assistance is appreciated so Thanks in advance. Brazoo

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,188 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After Tanzania - Gorilla Trek or Not?

It was a very quick internet search.

www.iamat.org/country_profile.cfm…

both Rwanda and Uganda are YF at risk locations, so returning to Dar will mean you will be checked.

Appleton, WI
Level Contributor
187 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After Tanzania - Gorilla Trek or Not?

Thanks Quiltingmamma - so YF is a yes to get. Now to the other question - whom to use in Rwanda for an outfitter. Anyone have a recent 3 day Trek they want to comment on.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,188 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After Tanzania - Gorilla Trek or Not?

why not just tag it onto your Tanz safari with the same TO rather than start with someone new? Even if there is a bit of an increase for them to sub contract for you, it will save a lot of hassle, and they may be able to save you money on other aspects. Depending on your safari schedule, there is some sense to ending safari in the West, get a ride to Mwanza and fly from Mwanza to Rwanda where the next company picks it up. A lot of the recent dual country reviews have the same TO for both countries. With only 3-4 days, and the distance from Kampala to Bwindi, Uganda (2 days each way), I would recommend Rwanda.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,527 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: After Tanzania - Gorilla Trek or Not?

Agree with QM, have the TO handling the safari to do so to RWANDA as it's easier to visit this country with 3/days and not feel rushed or for some reason be delayed getting to DAR.

Have you checked whether there are permits available for the dates you need?

Regarding the YF inoc, if you have a layover in DAR before boarding homebound flight, regardless whether arriving from KGL or EBB and happen to want to leave the airport, this jab will definitely be required.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After Tanzania - Gorilla Trek or Not?

1. YF is a must if returning to TZ from Rwanda or Uganda.

2. If you have not bought your tix, or can change, be advised that TK fly into KIG and EBB so no need to return to DAR unless that beach calls. do an Open Jaw.

IST-KIG or EBB and JRO-IST of VV.

3. EBB-Bwindi is just a days drive not two each way. but KIG is handier for Bwindi anyway as it is closer at 3 hours so you can still consider Gorillas in Uganda and save money on permits.

4. As the two trips involve a connecting flight I would go for a Rwandan or Ugandan TO for that sector as there will be no continuity anyway and the TZ TO will only sub contract anyway.

Ooops. Nearly never answered the question. Gorillas or NOT?

No contest. Gorillas. Bin the beach time.

Edited: 30 April 2014, 21:04
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: After Tanzania - Gorilla Trek or Not?

Wouldn't miss the Gorilla trek...ask you Tanzanian TO if they are happy to do the trek...and what the cost would be.

You are already working with them...so might be easier.

Just a thought you can do it before or after the trip depending on your flights...

I would think about Uganda as well.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,188 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: After Tanzania - Gorilla Trek or Not?

I stand corrected, then on the distance to Bwindi, however many do break it into two days. Perhaps by July the roads will be good all the way so easier to do in one day.

Tickets already bought. I remember Brazoo from the prolonged thread on when to buy tickets. It will forever stick in my mind.

Edited: 30 April 2014, 22:03
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: After Tanzania - Gorilla Trek or Not?

Roads are fine now. Slightly potholey for 50km west of Mbarara to Ntungamo Jt and being fixed. About 6km just out of Kabale and otherwise good tar until you need to turn off for Bwindi. North or South.

However if ONLY going to Bwindi then I would deplane in KIG and cross border.

I also remember Brazoos heartsearching but he may be able to get em changed. TK are not so sniffy as some other carriers.

Edited: 30 April 2014, 22:56
Appleton, WI
Level Contributor
187 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: After Tanzania - Gorilla Trek or Not?

Glad I am memorable in some fashion. I called TK to change my tickets to fly from JRO to Istanbul for 4 days instead of doing Zanzibar and out as scheduled today from DAR. The response a $400 change fee + difference in airfare from my original ticket price at $1400pp so that is $3200 so I decided to stay put leaving DAR as is back to Istanbul onward to CHI. Apparently $2800 for a couple from Chicago to JRO was a good deal after all in peak season.

The more I read about Zanzibar the more I regret spending that kind of $ for a beach although beautiful that I can get in the Gulf of Mexico at a far better rate with food and service that match the price pt (not a lot of glowing reviews on the 3 high end resorts I was considering. So that being said, cancelled my current hotel on the island, made some inquiries with my TO about changing my puddle jumper flights to Zanzibar and kicked around the Gorilla idea. The Mrs likes it (our 20th anniversary trip btw) and walla I am doing this thread and search for vendors.

My TO recommended a firm and they seem okay and now after extensive searching I have found 2 others I am considering Gorilla Trek Africa aka Africa Adventure Safaris and the other being African Jungle Adventures aka this and that and this with about 3 different names and sites. Both companies under their respective marketing names and sites have had a pretty good run and reviews. So best quote wins at this juncture. Sure this will run me about another $1k+ over beach time but I can always get my skin cancer at my local beach upon my return...when else am I ever going to see Gorilla's not behind a zoo enclosure? So looking like I am all in at this pt on a jungle hike in Rwanda given my timeline and desire not to sit for long hours in a car again after 11 days on the N Circuit in TZ.

Thanks gang for the ideas as always.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,505 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: After Tanzania - Gorilla Trek or Not?

Brazoo, so happy you have made this decision (says the girl who hasn't gone yet!). I look forward to your trip report!

(btw, we used to water-ski on Lake Winnabego! Fun memories)