We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Armed Robbery at Manyara Wildlife safari camp

Plymouth, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Armed Robbery at Manyara Wildlife safari camp

Rather alarmed to see 3 recent reviews on the manyara wildlife safari camp detailing an armed robbery that allegedly took place this Easter. Can anybody shed any light upon this?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,858 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Armed Robbery at Manyara Wildlife safari camp

I see you are new to TripAdvisor. Welcome. Like any forum, people are allowed to post many things and it is not always verified as correct or true. Given that all three posts are by the same travel group, one may question the validity of the report without other news reports of the incident. Also, they say they are from Dar and have only made one post each. It could be a disgruntled group trying to harm the lodge, or even a competitor. If this was a true incident, I am sure the police would have been notified and there would be other web notifications of this happening. Tanzania does not accept incidents against tourists lightly, and we would usually hear about it from other sources. I searched for this via other sources, and found no details.

Are you travelling there? is this your concern?

Edited: 02 May 2014, 13:38
Plymouth, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Armed Robbery at Manyara Wildlife safari camp

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes I am travelling there with my husband and two boys in July.

I also checked various websites for any reports but found nothing, so hopefully this is just a false report.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Armed Robbery at Manyara Wildlife safari camp

I do not know what to think on this.

Three posters all related? I wonder if Moderators would check the URLs? That should shed light on it.

Some accounts are virtually word perfect but there are inconsistencies. Stole the Passports, left the passports. NO reports made. v Police attended next day.

If it were me I would need a Police report to facilitate an Insurance claim and no way would I be 'silenced' by Management!

It has the ring of truth but also a hollow sound. I don't trust it 100%.

If I was going there, I know it and would never stop there, I would ask Roys in Arusha for their take on it.

Maybe Achnab has heard of something? Is he watching?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,858 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Armed Robbery at Manyara Wildlife safari camp

I expect your own TO (or whoever your ground operator is) would also know if there is any validity in these claims.

5. Re: Armed Robbery at Manyara Wildlife safari camp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 06:16