We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yellow fever certificate Zanzibar

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,351 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
yellow fever certificate Zanzibar

Contrary to what I have read, it has been suggested to us that we will need a yellow fever shot/certificate to enter Zanzibar. Our itinerary is US-Amsterdam (just to change planes), JRO, 14 day safari (all within Tanzania), fly from Arusha to Zanzibar.

What has been your experience?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yellow fever certificate Zanzibar

Travelers have for some time now reported that Tanzania is not requiring a YF certificate for entry if you go USA to Amsterdam to JRO. You won't need a cert going to Zanzibar from Arusha.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,351 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yellow fever certificate Zanzibar

That's what I had read (in multiple sources), but someone living in Tanzania told a friend of mine that he is always asked for the YF certificate when he goes to Zanzibar.

Thanks for responding.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: yellow fever certificate Zanzibar

The best thing to do is to have the vaccination and be done with it. Can they ask you at the border of Zanzibar for the certificate, they certainly can and everyone arriving in Zanzibar will need to go through passport control even though you crossed over from the mainland. Zanzibar is a semi-autonomous country of Tanzania and it likes to exert this at every occasion that it can. Zanzibar and Tanganyika (the mainland) are two separate countries which have a union government. And can the border health officer ask to see your vaccination certificate at passport control arriving in Zanzibar from Tanganyika, they sure can; and they can say that you were arriving from a yellow fever endemic country (Tanganyika) and cause you to need a vaccination on the spot.

The best option if you are worried about this, or worried about getting a vaccination on the spot there, is to have the vaccination and corresponding certificate. In the end the policy that will be used on you will be the one interrupted by the health officer standing in front of you, not what is said on a travel forum or elsewhere such as your physician or the CDC. If you choose to go without the certificate then I would make certain that I had all the documentation (ticket stubs, etc.) which shows your route to get there, and try to make the case when you are asked. And if they say, but you are entering Zanzibar from Tanganyika then roll up your sleeve, they will administer the vaccination on the spot there.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 12:10
Boston...
Level Contributor
202 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yellow fever certificate Zanzibar

I had a similar experience when traveling to the Seychelles from Kenya. Neither country were supposedly requiring YF vaccinations. When we landed in Victoria the officials asked to see YF cards (which fortunately we carry anytime we travel just in case of unanticipated situations such as this). Those with out the card got the shot right there at the airport. I honestly don't know how comfortable I would have been getting it done there due to sanitary concerns and concerns about counterfeit medication. I agree with Karl's comments above to get the shot in your home country and be done with it.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,351 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: yellow fever certificate Zanzibar

Thank you both for the thoughtful responses.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: yellow fever certificate Zanzibar

I am headed on the same exact trip as you - I went to our local Passport Health with our itinerary and we were not required to get the yellow fever vaccine. My mom has made the trip several times between JRO and Zanzibar without being asked.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: yellow fever certificate Zanzibar

But the agent at ZNZ might ask.

And if you don't have would be required to get on site.

The inoc is good for 10/yrs, so just get the darn thing.

Only reason to not is if you are over 60.yrs, allergic to eggs, contraindication with other meds you might be taking. In such case you should have a 'waiver' either on the yellow card or your docs letterhead the reason why you dont.

Years back, 1st visit to SEZ, we didn't even know YF inoc would be required coming from KEN & TNZ till landing (though we had having been to TNZ),, only to notice ALL paxs deplaining at Victoria, were asked for this. At that time we flew on a BA flight out of LHR, where most all paxs did not deplane at NBO... just sat on plane/runway till onward pax to SEZ boarded. (BA no loner flies that route, but Kenya Air does).

Needless to say a surprise, and our first encounter with rules/regulations that certain countries have and require of inbound paxs.

Rather be safe and have inoc given at your home country.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,351 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: yellow fever certificate Zanzibar

And yet, someone posted on my other thread that it was required.

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: yellow fever certificate Zanzibar

It depends on the route you take to get to Tanzania.... if you pass through an 'infected area' you are required to have it, however there is confusion on this issue and it can change without warning.... and we have heard of people being asked almost at random. As many have suggested the best advice is to get the jab. It lasts 10 years, if you have the booster one year on.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: yellow fever certificate Zanzibar

Just a clarification regarding the yellow fever vaccination. Boosters are not given one year after the first dose. A single shot is good for ten years, at least for Intl travel purposes. A booster has been required after 10 years for travel purposes. However, WHO recently concluded that a single dose confers lifetime immunity. It's now a matter of seeing if and how long countries will take to adopt WHO's position regarding the need for boosters for entry.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 16:02