We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Tanzania in February...help cut cost!!!!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Budget Tanzania in February...help cut cost!!!!

Dear friends having decided that me and my husband would like to do a Tanzanian safari in February. I have a budget of $ 2000 excluding flight and other overheads like tip and stuff. As suggested I have mailed operators and some have got back to me. What I have understood is most are offering basic camping at campsites in different locations. Do you think I can push for something more in my budget which like I mentioned is $2000 flight excluded. I have the questions as listed below. Some may be naive but this is my first trip so would really appreciate help.

1) What is the difference between lodges, camping & tented camps? What would be the toilet facilities in basic camping like? Please elaborate on the same.

2) Is there an option of having private camping/basic camping with en-suite toilet? Or in a public campsite can one extra to have a private toilet?

3)MY rough itinerary....suggestions please. There might be a better order to do things so kindly give me feedback or suggestions to cut cost.

Arusha along with a day at Arusha National Park.

Tarangire or Lake Manyara or should I do both. I read somewhere that Tarangire is not great in February. Is it true? Hoe many days for each. Was thinking one each? Is it sufficient? Or should I drop one and spend two in the other instead?

South Serengiti & Ndutu- was thinking three days...should it be more.

Ngorongo Crater & Conservation Area- two days ...is one enough?

Visit to visit Masai community or some walking tour.

Back to Arusha or Kilimanjaro and fly back.

4) I want to do atleast one nice lodge at any of the above just to indulge. Possible??? Nd where???

Please help in any way possible. I have the list of operators but more than that the list of accomodations would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Tanzania in February...help cut cost!!!!

For $2000, it is a stretch for what you want to do. You are going to have to minimize the number of days you are out on the safari (for 2 persons), probably to 3-4 days. Thus, you will be limited in going to where you want to go. You will probably be lucky to get to Ngorongoro Crater for a day and 2 - 3 days in Ndutu (which you will definitely want to be at in Feb.). This will most probably be basic camping in public campgrounds in order to fit it into your budget.

Know that February is a very busy time, especially at Ndutu, with prices to match. You can do it, but you won't be able to "indulge" at all.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,858 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Tanzania in February...help cut cost!!!!

Karl, the OP has posted before....this is $2000 per person - which gives them a bit more wiggle room.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,079 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Tanzania in February...help cut cost!!!!

charu604

if it is $2000 per person you can do a safari with care.

But to give you an idea of costs... to visit Ngorongoro crater is $200 for the vehicle plus $50 pp for park fees this does not include accommodation. Also if you go from the crater onto the Ndutu and stay on the NCCA side without going into Serengeti National park you will then only be paying another $50 pp per 24 hour period you stay at Ndutu without accommodation.

There are no public campsites at Ndutu so you would need an operator who has their own tents set up in a special campsite...many do. These tents have ensuite toilet and shower (bucket)

To visit Ndutu this way would be one of the cheapest ways of doing it.

Then add Tarangire if you stay outside the park in one of the cheaper camps then it can be viable as well.

So what I would do is Tarangire first

Then spend 1 night at Karatu outside the parks ( cheapest option) then visit Ngorongoro Crater for a 6 hour visit and then head for the short grass plains of Ndutu. Stay as many days as your budget will allow then drive back to Arusha.

Give this rough outline to operators and tell them your budget and see what they can do...ask for a breakdown of costs.

Compare all the quotes and see what you come up with.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Tanzania in February...help cut cost!!!!

Thanks friends. Let me wait for some operators to get back and I can discuss with you guys again.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Tanzania in February...help cut cost!!!!

There are 'special' campsites some aread (Ndutu) which are for your use only that provide private toilet and shower along with better food. These though do cost between $25-50/pp day additional, if any still available for February which is peak season.

Honestly though, $2K is still rather tight even for basic budget.

Await replies from outfitters you've contacted and see what they can offer and costs.

6. Re: Budget Tanzania in February...help cut cost!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 05:17