We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

delta says size matters, KLM lists size and weight but

Minneapolis...
2 posts
Save Topic
delta says size matters, KLM lists size and weight but

Delta says size matters, KLM lists size and weight but one place said 40 lbs and another 26 lbs,

I don't want to go over the jump plane restrictions of 30 lbs but 26lbs is tough to meet and I packed really light... still need my drawing pad and portable water color kit so what will happen if I go to the 30lb? will they just charge me? or will they make me take a few items out? PS: our jump plane to safari allows 30lbs

Delta:

It won’t fit. Three words you don’t want to hear when trying to board. To avoid delays and possible checked bag fees, follow these size requirements:

•Baggage may not exceed 45 linear inches (or 114 cm) in combined length, width and height, including any handles and wheels

•Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check (approximately 22" x 14" x 9" or 56 x 35 x 23 cm), which is located near the check-in counters

Approved Personal Items

•1 purse, briefcase, camera bag or diaper bag

•or 1 laptop computer (computers cannot be checked)

•or 1 item of a similar or smaller size to those listed above

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,039 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: delta says size matters, KLM lists size and weight but

Be glad you aren't travelling Turkish Air. Same size allowance, but only 17 pounds....and they weigh it.

KLM weight is for overhead bag. Transfer your extra four pounds to your second allowed bag. Your jump flight combines all baggage weight. Delta and KLm does not.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: delta says size matters, KLM lists size and weight but

On International carryon, the 40/lbs is for Business (or First) the 26 or 30/lbs is for 'steerage' (coach). That's it!

Once when departing AMS (having spent 2/days there before ongoing to Africa) they weighed my carryon which was over, so I just took out a few items, placed into one of the other 'allowed' pieces and once thru checkin/on board, replaced those items back into my bag for the overhead bin.

Have to wonder if some people have never flown International flights before? Most every air carrier has similar rules, though some have lower weight for their overhead bins. At one time and it might still be the same, when BA had a max of 7Kg or 15/lbs for their overhead bins... ugh! They sure got lots of flack for that.

When domstically in the US, many of the air carriers decided to charge for checked bags more travelers decided to do carryon only and the air carriers enlarged their overhead bins to accommodate. It's since become an issue (seems travelers pack all but the kitchen sink), and I'm sure this will soon change someway or other.

Personally, whether domestic of international, I check my bags... let someone else do the moving/lifting and then present bag to me on arrival... works fine.

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: delta says size matters, KLM lists size and weight but

Quiltingmamma - by jump flight do you mean flights between parks/camps? What happens if you are over by the weight of my carry-on? Do they charge you or make you leave a bag or what? Also what about a flight from NBO to JRO?

Thank you.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,039 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: delta says size matters, KLM lists size and weight but

Panter,the OP calls it a jump plane. I would call it an internal flight. Many threads on weight question for these. Some are lax if a pound or so over, others will charge you a nominal overage fee. Me? i follow the rules. Why give the pilot grief trying to guess whether all passenger weights and bags will cause problems. I would not want to be the that person that risks a flight. Besides, I tend to travel with small bags anyway.

5. Re: delta says size matters, KLM lists size and weight but

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 06:15