We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

~sigh~ Another Precision Air Question

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
~sigh~ Another Precision Air Question

I'm only taking carry on on for my trip in order to get out of the airport quickly. I have one bag (clothing) that's approx 14lbs and my camera backpack that approx 12lbs. Going from Toronto to JRO isn't a problem however going home I'm doing the JRO to NBO to AMS route and JRO to NBO is via Precision Air. I've never dealt with them before.

According to their website, https://www.precisionairtz.com/index.php… - See sec 5

it seems my carry on plan won't work as they only allow one carry one. Is that correct, has anyone actually taken on two pieces of luggage?

I guess if I have to check my luggage it's not a problem however I'm curious if I have to collect my luggage in NBO and check in there or if my luggage is checked all the way through as all my flights are on one ticket. I only have 1.5hrs in NBO and want to make sure I'm ok making my connection.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ~sigh~ Another Precision Air Question

You are typically allowed as carry on one small luggage bag, and one purse or briefcase. If that camera bag is small enough it might pass as a briefcase type.

What I would try to do is to take it as carry on, and at the gate if they object I would ask them to gate check the bag (those they unload as you are deplaning and you can pick it up for carry on for the next flight). It's surprising what you can get done if you just don't say much of anything and play dumb.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ~sigh~ Another Precision Air Question

Hey Karl, thanks. Quick follow up. When you ask them to gate check the bag, where do you pick up your bag when your arrive in NBO? Never heard of gate checking a bag.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ~sigh~ Another Precision Air Question

I do it all the time. When I was traveling in West Africa by air into many countries, I always gate checked my small carry on luggage. They typically do one of two things, if there is a jetway they will put it in the jetway, if not then they will unload it in the area where you get off the plane on the tarmac. If there are quite a few who do that they sometimes put it on a cart and leave the cart beside the walkway on the tarmac.

When you gate check you bag they will typically put a receipt on the bag and give you a tear off part of the receipt.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,938 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ~sigh~ Another Precision Air Question

Daniel, have you flown Porter with carry on? They like to 'gate check' to save loading time and avoid people trying to stuff excess into the overhead bins. Quite seamless, but keep hold of your camera bag. You might have heard this winter about the AC staff caught on film throwing gate checked bags down onto the tarmac. Rarely, very rarely it does go astray but much less than checked. You may have to wait a few minutes while they unload it, but it is pretty slick - in North American airports, at least. Do be aware, however, I have read that as well as some NA airlines charging for carry on, they are also charging for gate checked bags.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ~sigh~ Another Precision Air Question

As there are no jetways at JRO, I can't see them doing 'gate checks' Seems all the luggage, other than your one carryon will be on the tarmac luggage cart* as would other 'checked' bags to be loaded under the plane.

*recall they ask each pax to point out their bags before loading it.

Even though Precision uses larger planes, I don't recall seeing normal size above seat compartments for more than maybe a laptop or portfolio/briefcase... rather flat/small. If anyone recalls larger overhead compartments... please advise.

Gate checks which are quite usual in the States and even Canada are regular occurences when flying on those small commuter planes, where as you board by jetway or stairs, they take your bag to go under the belly of plane, but as these are last loaded are first off and you as pax can collect these as you deplane rather than waiting/going into terminal for regular/larger size items to come off the carousel.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ~sigh~ Another Precision Air Question

It's all news to me! 4 Sandi I think the Jetway would be at NBO as I would gatecheck the bag at JRO and grab it from the jetway when I depart the plane at NBO.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ~sigh~ Another Precision Air Question

I've gate checked bags in many African countries quite often, and most did not have jetways, and it was never a problem. If fact in some places they seemed to like you not checking them.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ~sigh~ Another Precision Air Question

Want some good news Daniel.

Scroll right down that page to the very bottom.

You are on a through ticket and so the following applies< Allowance printed in the ticket leading>

So you get the long haul allowance of KL/KQ.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ~sigh~ Another Precision Air Question

Wouldn't the ticket leading be a flight prior to my Precision Air flight not following it? Not really sure how to interpret it. I'm flying PA to NBO, then Kenyan Airways via KLM to AMS and then home.

I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ~sigh~ Another Precision Air Question

I don't read it that way.

I think it is saying that Long Haul airlines rules override the feeder's.

The ticket, I assume, was issued by KQ/KL and their rules apply to the whole series of flights on that ticket.

The same section states that XS charges are to be those of the 'lead' airline.

I think you will be OK. I have never had this problem.