We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report & Photos: Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Serengeti

on the lake...
Level Contributor
565 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report & Photos: Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Serengeti

Back from our safari! Everything was perfect! I have a trip report with 7 photos albums here http://tinyurl.com/lc6gw7c. Tanzania was better than we even dared to hope.

We stayed at The African Tulip, Tarangire Safari Lodge, Rhino Lodge and Serengeti Wilderness Lodge. We booked with (and highly recommend!) Access2Tanzania. We did a private safari for just our family, 2 adults and 2 teenagers.

Some safari tips:

Bring a baby receiving blanket for each traveler. Use it on the plane to cover your face while you sleep. Also, use it in the safari truck to cover your camera as you drive along. It’s very dusty! I sat with my camera in my lap as we drove and just draped the blanket over it.

Bring a baggie with a flattened roll of toilet paper and wet wipes from home. Also bring hand sanitizer. Keep it in the vehicle and take it with you to public restrooms.

Bathrooms are icky. Ladies, prepare to squat. There was often no more than a hole in the ground.

Bring a simple stocking hat and lightweight gloves. Mornings can be cool and a hat will keep your core temp comfortable.

Bring a cheap shower cap. The water pressure and quantity isn’t always good. Instead of washing hair every day, put it up in a cap and just wash your body. Wash your hair when you have access to a good shower. We also brought a dry shampoo to help between washes.

If you have seasonal allergies at home, bring your allergy meds with, even if it is off season at home.

Thanks to everyone who is active on this board! You're a wealth of information!!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report & Photos: Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Serengeti

Thank you for posting, good tips but the link isn't working - says not found.

on the lake...
Level Contributor
565 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report & Photos: Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Serengeti

shellistravel.com/Travelogues/…Default.aspx

try this one instead.

it added the . to the end of the tinyurl which is why the link won't work.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report & Photos: Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Serengeti

Great report and pictures, very entertaining. Thank you for taking the time to post.

I am going with 3 teenagers later in the year on a similar trip, very excited! Any tips you would recommend regarding teenagers on safari, would be greatly appreciated!

Geneva, IL
Level Contributor
90 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report & Photos: Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Serengeti

Great trip report! Brings back lots of memories of our safari in January. We also want to go back. 2 weeks was not long enough!

on the lake...
Level Contributor
565 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report & Photos: Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Serengeti

TnT1999, we prepped our teenagers ahead of time and said "we'll get you wifi when we can, but when it's not available NO COMPLAINING!" Both kids enjoyed having their own cameras. Plan some down time for them to be lazy. You'll have a great time!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report & Photos: Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Serengeti

Repeating what I said on the other thread.

Loved the photos and the narrative. thanks.

Good to see it won't be your last trip to Africa too.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 22:46
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report & Photos: Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Serengeti

Great trip report! This is really driving me crazy! Five more days until departure :)

Just curious, how busy did you find each of the parks at the moment? Extremely busy or where you ever able to be alone watching the wildlife?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report & Photos: Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Serengeti

Shelli -- What a wonderful report and photo collection. Thanks so much for posting them.

You had some spectacular sightings, and your narrative was lively, wry, emotional and evocative. You conveyed beautifully the depth of feeling a first safari can elicit -- that sense of awe, of wonder, of astonishment that these things are real, and still exist in the world, albeit on the other side of it from us and in an wholly unfamiliar environment. Your kids are so lucky to have had this experience in their youth -- it will have given them true insight into a profoundly different culture, and, I suspect, a respect and affection for nature which goes far beyond what most American venues can convey. I often think that had I experienced Africa when young, I might never have left.

You have some really beautiful photos there. And some really great experiences under your belt. I was particularly amused by the elephant herd tromping through Tarangire Safari Lodge. Why do those things never happen to me? LOL.

Great report, great photos -- much gratitude on our end. Daniel, dammit, I don't leave for 390 days, so shut up about it! Take a nap! Have a beer! Think of the agony I'm experiencing!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report & Photos: Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Serengeti

BTW, Daniel, wave at the wildie herds for me. Tell 'em I sent my regards!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report & Photos: Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Serengeti

And BTW, Shelli, LOVE the baby hippo and serval in the Crater. LOVE the gazillion banded mongooses at Naabi Hill.

I love the Serengeti map in your Serengeti photo album. Where did you get it? Is it online? Can you send me a link? Or did you buy it? It's really excellent. I'd love to have it with us next year!

Photos of the Seronera airstrip always make me cry.

We have stayed at both Tarangire Safari Lodge and Serengeti Wilderness Camp and love them both. Heard lions early every morning very nearby at SWC.

Laughed Out Loud at the Vervet stealing the cookies. Someone should have warned you about the larcenous monkeys and baboons. They should all be in jail!

Charging Large Creatures really get the adrenaline going, don't they? Love it when that happens.

Re: baby elephants. One of the great baby elephant moments on our last safari (this past Feb) was the baby rolling around in her first mud bath. Then she tried to exit, but it was far too slippery and she simply was neither strong enough nor sure-footed enough to be able to make it out. Finally, Mom and Auntie lent their support, using their trunks to guide and push her out of the mud.

Whereupon, like any toddler, she turned round and ran right back in.

Heh.

Don't you go back over your photos at least once a day and marvel at what fantastic wildlife photographers you have become?? Isn't that fun???

Thaose birds nipping food out of the mouth of the giraffe: Red-billed oxpeckers. Just so's you know. They have a symbiotic relationship with many large mammals, exchanging grooming duties for free food.

We, too, are Access fans. Their guides are wonderful -- ours has become a friend for life. We've taken 3 safaris with him and will be returning next year for a 4th.

You'll be back, girl. There's something about Tanzania. . .