We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reliable and cheap Zanibar/ Tanzania tour operator

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Reliable and cheap Zanibar/ Tanzania tour operator

Hey guys,

Me and my partner are interested in doing possibly Zanzibar and Tanzania on our honeymoon minimum 2 weeks, next May / June. We have never been to Africa before so we are looking for an experienced tour operator based in the UK (where we're from) to help us book the trip.

We are also on a budget so we are looking for laid back rustic beauty rather than 5 star luxury which a lot of the resorts in zanzibar seem to be

Does anyone have any recommendations? We were recommended Happy World Safaris but I was slightly put off as their website is really, really bad.

Any pointers would be great.

Thanks, Ella

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Chicago
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reliable and cheap Zanibar/ Tanzania tour operator

I used Shidolya and they had the best quotes and provided a great trip. They are based in TZ but it was easy to arrange by email .

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,949 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reliable and cheap Zanibar/ Tanzania tour operator

Ok so I am from the UK. We arranged our first trip to Tanzania/Zanzibar with a UK TO but now always use a Tanzanian TO. I would say you will find the prices at least 25-33% cheaper using a Tanzanian TO. Look at the Top Questions on the right hand side, the fourth one down will give you a list of local TOs frequently mentioned on this forum. We have use Swala safaris, based in Arusha, twice. They were either cheapest or second cheapest of all the quotes we got and were easy to deal with and arranged great trips for us both times at very reasonable prices. All trips went exactly as planned with no hiccups or changes.h

I would pick about 6 TO and email them with the number of people travelling, dates for safari and Zanzibar, type of accomodation required (can vary from basic camping to super luxury with price differences to match so it is a good idea to give the TO an idea of what you want), any specific interests or places you would like to visit or stay. Then see what comes back. You can then work with the one you like best to fine tune your trip.

PS I wouldn't place to much emphasis on the websites. These are African companies who are good at arranging safaris.......which is what you want them to do (not design you a website :-))

Edited: 27 July 2014, 19:48
Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Milwaukee
Level Contributor
646 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reliable and cheap Zanibar/ Tanzania tour operator

I am going on a solo safari in September and i would also recommend using an operator in Tanzania. I originally contacted a global company as well as got fancy brochures from other companies from a travel agent. But after researching the price was better and it was a private safari versus group trip, by booking directly with a operator in tanzania. You will save the cost of middleman. The process was easy to arrange by email. I would not put much weight into the look and design of a website. It seems as though many of the most recommended companies here have simple websites. I would contact several companies as suggested for quotes to compare. Search for reviews or trip reports from past clients, rather than decide based on if the company has a fancy website or brochure. You can look up most the accommodations for reviews and photos.

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: Reliable and cheap Zanibar/ Tanzania tour operator

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 06:16