We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Dodoma from Dar Es Salaam

6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel to Dodoma from Dar Es Salaam

Hi!

I'm planning on travelling from Dar Es Salaam to Manyoni (~2hrs west of Dodoma, though getting to Dodoma will likely be sufficient) in September and am wondering what is the best way to do so? I've seen on various forums that people say Shabibi luxury buses are the most comfortable to travel on from Dar -> Dodoma however the posts are from 2 years ago...

Does anybody know if the Shabibi bus company is still running and how to go about booking a ticket? I can't seem to find a website for them.

Or does anybody have any other recommendations on bus companies or other forms of travel to Dodoma from Dar Es Salaam?

Thanks in advance!

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
719 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Dodoma from Dar Es Salaam

Shabibby is still a better choice, it runs from Dar es salaam to Dodoma Daily. Also you can try ABC bus. They are good and comfortable buses too with the same route.

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Dodoma from Dar Es Salaam

Thanks for the info! Do you know how I go about booking a ticket? Am I able to do this before getting to Tanzania or do I basically walk into the bus terminal and buy a ticket?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Dodoma from Dar Es Salaam

Shabybi is still operating. I always try to get the Luxury bus, it's only a few shillings more and I like the driver which is most always driving. Catch the bus at the Ubungo Bus Terminal. Bus companies there don't book in advance unless you go to their ticket window in advance. I typically try to get a ticket a day early to ensure that I have the bus and seat that I prefer. The only times when it is difficult to get a bus ticket to Dodoma is when the Bunge (Parliament) is in session with a lot of people traveling there. With the new university in Dodoma there is also probably a rush to get tickets according to the school session schedule. But typically you won't have a problem getting a ticket, especially a day early.

In Dodoma you can get another bus to go to Manyoni, according to the time you arrive in Dodoma whether you will need to wait until the next day or catch one on the same day. I would not advise traveling after dark (buses are not supposed to be traveling after dark in Tz). This would most probably be a bus heading to Singida, which will travel through Manyoni.

The ride to Dodoma will typically take about 6 hours, with a stop in Morogoro for about 15 minutes. Shabybi also typically makes a short stop in Gieta (the owner lives there). The ride terminates at the Central Bus Station in Dodoma.

I've taken this and other bus company's rides many times to Dodoma.

Don't look for bus web sites, they don't exist. The only one who had a web site, Scandinavia, web out of business some time ago.

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Dodoma from Dar Es Salaam

Thanks so much for the help! Much appreciated!

5. Re: Travel to Dodoma from Dar Es Salaam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 September 2014, 12:39
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Dodoma from Dar Es Salaam

Thanks again for the help Karl! Just returned to Dar from Dodoma today. We took the Shabiby luxury both ways (23,000 TZS one-way) which was very comfortable, even by western standards. We were very lucky as we had an extremely helpful taxi driver who even came inside the bus terminal to help us buy the bus tickets. Without him it would've been a much more difficult experience!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Dodoma from Dar Es Salaam

Ben... Glad it worked out OK for you. More people should take advantage of their hospitality, they most always will assist someone, especially visitors. It is a part of their culture.

I understand that it started to rain a bit in Dodoma (we like that as that is needed for the corn/maize. And that the luxury bus is still a good bus to take from Dar to Dodoma.

8. Re: Travel to Dodoma from Dar Es Salaam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2015, 05:15