We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzania to Victoria Falls, Zambia with Eastco

Townsville...
Level Contributor
157 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Tanzania to Victoria Falls, Zambia with Eastco

This is just a quick note to let you know we have decided in the end to do the road trip offered by Eastco and Simon to the Victoria Falls. After our last trip, 30 days exploring Uganda and Tanzania we thought this was one of the best ways to see more of the African countryside and meet its people.

We are 4 travelling and the Eastco part of the trip is 26 days starting in Mwanza and driving through the Serengeti,Tarangire,Kolo, Dodoma to North Luangwa National Park and Lusaka. Then we are driving the last stretch to Livingstone, presumably a 6 hour drive.

The cost for the 26 days is $6500 for each of us.

What do you think, are we crazy?.

1. Re: Tanzania to Victoria Falls, Zambia with Eastco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 01:08
Edited: 01 August 2014, 01:08
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanzania to Victoria Falls, Zambia with Eastco

Crazy? No....and did you leave space for your ground support trio? No, not the Three Stooges.

In all seriousness, you have had a good experience with EASTCO, you know it can be done, and as said, what better way to see the area? I am often impressed of how many South Africans drive from south tip to North. You can't tell me they are any hardier than an Aussie. go for it!

Townsville...
Level Contributor
157 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanzania to Victoria Falls, Zambia with Eastco

Quiltingmamma,

Thanks for your encouragement we will do that trip. What do you think of the price, does it seem fair?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanzania to Victoria Falls, Zambia with Eastco

Elizabeth, the old saying that Genius is next to Madness holds good for travelling too.

It 's a fine line twixt adventurous and crazy. When it works it is an adventure! Lots of similar sayings but

"Who dares, wins!"

(I hate TA where you can't change the fonts and the colours or this would be in green!)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanzania to Victoria Falls, Zambia with Eastco

Elizabeth, I can't comment on the price really. If you haven't shopped it to compare, it would be hard to tell, but I think it falls within reasonable per day calculations. I don't know what a reasonable per day is for the other countries.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanzania to Victoria Falls, Zambia with Eastco

Curious as always I ran the numbers to check the price.

$26000 total cost.

Now I thought maybe $500 per day for car, support team etc., seamed about right. 26 days gives $13,000.

Food, maintenance etc., is therefore the same figure. Odd that.

Then the penny dropped. I think the slide rules are set to $1000 per day and thus came up with your $26,000 fee. Is it accurate? Has it been properly costed? Who knows or cares?

Its not a bad price for a trip of that duration. $250 per day per pax. I could buy into that.

Go for it. It will be fun whatever.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanzania to Victoria Falls, Zambia with Eastco

Without knowing the accommodation in Tanzania, how many parks you are visiting and if flights are included. The number of parks you will visit in Zambia, it is hard to comment on the cost.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tanzania to Victoria Falls, Zambia with Eastco

Er, no flights mate. The clue is here <we have decided in the end to do the road trip offered by Eastco and Simon to the Victoria Falls.> the parks are mentioned too. could be wrong but I recall reading that the party are camping.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tanzania to Victoria Falls, Zambia with Eastco

This is making me so jealous, already with a number trips under my belt, I wish I had the time to do something like this. Already planning on taking hubby back in 2016 for the migration on the short grass plains, he has not seen this yet, Only the dry season.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tanzania to Victoria Falls, Zambia with Eastco

Really difficult to determine if this is a good price or not, one would have to figure in getting the vehicle and driver back to Mwanza. If it were myself doing this I would probably compare it to something which Fortes Car Hire could do for me (along with an experience driver/guide) and see where the prices compared.

Then again, there are some things that people do which they don't care what the cost is.